Applescript times out around 5 minutes

jmcconathy
New Contributor III

Goal: I want to have a script that will restart a system, if no user is logged in, or prompt a logged in user that their computer is going to be restarted in 30 minutes, and give them an option to postpone that restart.

I found the following script ( https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProductFile.html?fid=477 ), and it appears to work, except it always restarts after running for just 5 minutes.

If I copy the large chunk of AppleScript code into Script Editor, and run it there, it works fine for the full duration (30 minutes).

I have tried adding some pieces like "with timeout of 1800 seconds", but i get the same result. I have also tried on multiple OS's (10.11-10.9).

Could anyone clue me in on why the Applescript is acting differently when run from inside a .sh script?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jmcconathy
New Contributor III

I tried the 'with timeout' option also, but it still would not work as expected. So I have just dumped this and written my own python script using cocoa dialog that does what I want.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Look
Valued Contributor III

Are you runnning it as a policy? You haven't set a restart condition on the policy itself? That defaults to 5 minutes I believe...

jmcconathy
New Contributor III

Negative, I have tried running this script from terminal to rule out anything like that.

MrP
Contributor III

Do a "with timeout of #### seconds" after the activate line. Here is an example from one of my scripts where I set the time-out slightly longer than the longest I possibly want the script to run. Then the timeouts within will have time to work.

tell application "Finder"
    activate
    with timeout of 86400 seconds

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Because it's a Friday before a long weekend and I'm trying to avoid my own work, I created this template. Hopefully it helps you- or at least parts of it.

Run the script below frequently on your machines. It looks for a key in /tmp/rebootTrack. If that key exists, the user is prompted to restart, and it does reboot automatically with a 30 minute (1801 second) countdown if someone is logged in. They can delay the reboot 5 times. Run the script again to prompt the user again. Either with LaunchD or Policy.

#!/bin/bash                               
#Thoule 

JH="/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper"
JHaddon=" -windowType utility -title IT_Message -icon /usr/local/Logos/Square_Black.png "

needReboot=$(defaults read /tmp/rebootTrack rebootNeeded)
if [ "$needReboot" != "YES" ]; then
    echo "no reboot required at this time"
    exit 1
fi

currentUser=$(stat -f '%Su' /dev/console)

snoozeCount=$(defaults read /tmp/rebootTrack snoozeLeft)
if [ -z $snoozeCount ]; then  #if no value returned  
    snoozeCount=5 #get five snoozes by default.   
    defaults write /tmp/rebootTrack snoozeLeft -int 5
fi

alreadyRunning=$(defaults read /tmp/rebootTrack runningNow)
if [ -z $alreadyRunning ]; then
    defaults write /tmp/rebootTrack runningNow -string "running"
else
    echo "another instance of this script is running.  I'll quit now."
    exit 1
fi

if [ "$currentUser" == "root" ]; then
    echo "rebooting here"
    /sbin/reboot
else
    "$JH" $JHaddon -description "Reboot Pending.  Get yerself ready!  You have $snoozeCount delays left" -timeout 1801 -button2 "Delay" -button1 "Reboot" -countdown
    response=$?

if [ "$response" == "0" ] || [ $snoozeCount < 1 ]; then    #if reboot clicked                                                                                            
        echo "rebooting Here!"
        /sbin/reboot
    else
        snoozeCount=$((snoozeCount-1))
        defaults write /tmp/rebootTrack snoozeLeft $snoozeCount
    fi
fi

#cleanup
defaults delete /tmp/rebootTrack runningNow

jmcconathy
New Contributor III

I tried the 'with timeout' option also, but it still would not work as expected. So I have just dumped this and written my own python script using cocoa dialog that does what I want.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

View solution in original post

bentoms
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

Just chiming in, never had luck with the timeout flag for anything more than 5 minutes.

CocoaDialog or (if an app), building a XIB works. (Had to do this in AutoCasperNBI).