Application Restriction: Slack

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to make a software restriction to kill and remove Slack on macOS but for some reason it does not seem to be working. I have tried using slack.app and the service name which is just slack, the app just keeps running happily. Any ideas?

I work for a financial firm that is extremely strict on management and they don't like Slack, it is what it is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MatthewGC
New Contributor III

I do believe the command is case-sensitive so Slack.app should work while slack.app would not.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MatthewGC
New Contributor III

I do believe the command is case-sensitive so Slack.app should work while slack.app would not.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

@MatthewGC Looks like that was it. With how long I have been doing this that is kinda embarrassing, but exactly why a second set of eyes is a good thing. Thank you sir!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

It's almost always better to use the process name versus the application bundle name, because the latter can be spoofed by a crafty user. Just renaming Slack.app to something like "slck.app" would bypass your Restricted Software setting if you have it looking exactly for "Slack.app"

The one caveat to using the process name is that it makes deleting the application difficult or even impossible, at least from within that Restricted Software title. Because it will only delete what you tell it to, so deleting "slack" would only remove the executable, and not the entire application. It renders it unusable, but isn't going to completely rid the app from the machine.

As for why your Restricted Software settings aren't working, have you confirmed that the setting was pushed to the Mac you're testing it on? It's not immediate like a Config Profile. The Mac needs to check in before it will get any newly set up restricted software settings.