Applications fail to download from Self Service

ChadL3
New Contributor II

Hopefully someone can help me. I am very new at this. After upgrading to JSS 9.96 I can no longer install software from the Self Service App. Right when it gets to downloading it fails, from the logs it appears it cannot find CasperShare. So I recreated CasperShare in File Sharing in OS X Server, if I open Casper Admin the CasperShare now mounts (which did not before). But still Self Service fails at download.

I kinda fell into supporting this, since taking over I have only updated JSS

Here is what my JAMF Server is...
OS X 10.10.5
OS X Server 5.0.15
JSS and Casper 9.96
No JDS
Tomcat 8.0.36

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Hi Chad.

Your log indicates a faillure to download from an HTTP server. Did you intend to use HTTP distribution, or just traditional file shares like AFP/SMB?

If you did not mean to use HTTP, then you need to go to the File Share Distribution point settings in the JSS, and uncheck "Use HTTP" in the third tab.

If you DO want to use HTTP, you'll need to look at the Web Server section of the Mac and ensure that you have the alias set up correctly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Check:

• File services running on the Mac
  • Distribution point credentials
  • Policy log for this computer

In the policy log, click the Details button next to the last failed event. Copy and paste that here.

Also please open /var/log/jamf.log on the affected computer and paste the last 20 lines or so here.

As you are inserting your log files into the reply box, make a selection of that text and click the >_ symbol to format it as plain text code. There will appear three backticks above and below it.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Another thing I thought of:

Ensure that you know the usernames of the read/write and read-only accounts. Usually these are casperadmin and casperinstall.

When you reconfigured the file share in the Server app, did you remember to add those two user accounts as having access to CasperShare, and grant them appropriate permissions?

ChadL3
New Contributor II

Brad, thanks for the reply. File Services are running and the casper accounts are both set and read/write. I'm not sure where to check the DP credentials (assuming in File Sharing on the server.app), which I re-added them. And added both with correct permissions.

I can't seem to find the Policy Log

<JAMF.LOG>
Mon Nov 14 13:26:26 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[1579]: Checking for policy ID 187...
Mon Nov 14 13:26:27 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[1579]: Executing Policy Office 2016
Mon Nov 14 13:26:27 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[1579]: The network connection was interrupted while downloading the package from http://idcjamf0001.corp.global.level3.com/CasperShare/Packages/Microsoft%20Office%202016.dmg. Attempting to reconnect...
Mon Nov 14 13:26:29 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[1579]: Error: Microsoft Office 2016.dmg is not available on the HTTP server.
Mon Nov 14 13:26:29 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[1579]: Inventory will be updated when all queued actions in Self Service are complete.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Hi Chad.

Your log indicates a faillure to download from an HTTP server. Did you intend to use HTTP distribution, or just traditional file shares like AFP/SMB?

If you did not mean to use HTTP, then you need to go to the File Share Distribution point settings in the JSS, and uncheck "Use HTTP" in the third tab.

If you DO want to use HTTP, you'll need to look at the Web Server section of the Mac and ensure that you have the alias set up correctly.

ChadL3
New Contributor II

well that help...LOL, so I got a lot further. Here is the log after the failure.

Mon Nov 14 15:54:05 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[3095]: Checking for policies triggered by "recurring check-in" for user "osxadmin"...
Mon Nov 14 15:54:07 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[3095]: Executing Policy iCloud_iDrive
Mon Nov 14 15:58:37 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[3518]: The SSL certificate for https://idcjamf0001.corp.global.level3.com:8443/ does not need to be trusted.
Mon Nov 14 15:58:41 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[3547]: Error Domain=com.jamf.jamfsecurity.error Code=-25300 "The specified item could not be found in the keychain." UserInfo=0x7fa688d89e70 {NSLocalizedDescription=The specified item could not be found in the keychain.}
Mon Nov 14 15:58:41 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[3547]: Error Domain=com.jamf.jamfsecurity.error Code=-25300 "The specified item could not be found in the keychain." UserInfo=0x7fa688d89980 {NSLocalizedDescription=The specified item could not be found in the keychain.}
Mon Nov 14 15:58:41 L3MBA13-OSXTEST jamf[3547]: There was an error.

Error enrolling computer: Permission Error - The user specified does not have permission to perform the action.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

You've gone from having a Self Service issue ... to an enrollment issue. Did you remove the jamf Framework in between?

More about the JAMF Keychain:

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/14637/external-jss-enrol-errors

Try the next steps:

1) Reset the keychain on this Mac;
2) Remove the JAMF keychain file;
3) reboot.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Hi Chad,

I see that you marked this as solved. Would you mind sharing with the community what was wrong, and how you fixed it?

Thanks,
Brad

PS: Check your LinkedIn.