Archiving old machines?

wstewart3
New Contributor III

We have a lot of old machines that have not completed a check-in, in quite some time.

I really would prefer not to delete these, as the data could potentially be useful in the future (Such as a FileVault recovery key, or user/program data).

Is it possible to "Archive" a computer? Or is deleting them the only thing JSS can do currently?

9 REPLIES 9

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Put them in a Static Smartgroup, name it [Archive]

wstewart3
New Contributor III

Doesn't this still eat up a machine license? At this point, about half the items in JSS are most likely not active anymore, or have been surplussed.

SVM-IT
New Contributor III

Only managed machines count against the license. When we retire a machine we add an entry to the comptuer's history including explaining why it was retired and may include a reference to a help desk ticket number.

wstewart3
New Contributor III

Ahh I think the problem is I dont know how to mark machines as "unmanaged"? Is there a KB on this? A quick google did not return the results that I wanted.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@wstewart3 When you're looking at Inventory->General for a computer click the Edit button and you can un-check "Allow Jamf Pro to perform management tasks" to make a computer unmanaged

eaititig
New Contributor III

The only problem is that you can no longer add the machine to a static group or search for it if you uncheck that.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

No, you can't assign an un-managed Mac to a Group (which makes sense since you have indicated you aren't managing them), but an Advanced Computer Search can still be used to find them and create reports containing them.

eaititig
New Contributor III

I tried a Smart Group too but the "Managed" field isn't exposed. I never thought about a Saved Search but that works. Thanks.

wstewart3
New Contributor III

Is there a way to do this using a smart group? Or in Bulk?