ARD Computer lists

jeff_thompson
New Contributor

Anyone know where the actual computer list data base is stored. I would like to copy the data for ARD from one computer to another. I do not mean export list from the file menu as this option does not work. Using the export list seems to move computer names but when it imports on a computer with existing lists things get screwed up. I would like to move the list from the master machine to another machine overwriting the data on the second. I can't seem to locate the correct files.

7 REPLIES 7

NoahRJ
Contributor II

Sounds like you're looking for the Remote Desktop plist. Beginning in Mavericks, the location for all that ARD stuff got hidden pretty deep within the user library. You can find it in: ```
/Users/YourUserAccount/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist

Also, if you want to copy over your library of presets and tasks, you can find those settings in:```
/Users/YourUserAccount/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Application Support/Remote Desktop

Hope this helps!

jeff_thompson
New Contributor

Hey, Thanks for the information. I have actually tried the suggested plist. Today I tried again copied the plist from my master machine that contained the computers and lists. Then copied the files you had listed above. Then, on the second machine I opened ARD and deleted all of the entries in the All Computers and all of my lists. Closed the app and proceeded to copy the two files. Opened ARD again and still no computers or lists. I am trying to copy the list of machines as well as the groups to the new machine. Still no luck. But thanks for the response. I can see the list of machines in the Plist you have above. Also has todays date on the file.

NoahRJ
Contributor II

Hmm. I'd next check the permissions of the plist and make sure the user under whose library this file is being placed has read and write access.

vascob
New Contributor

I'd like to point out for anyone reading this that NoahRJ was correct. You needed to also chmod 600 on your /Users/username/Library/Containers/ directory!

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

600 is an odd permission for a directory? 700 perhaps? or 755?

sahmed
New Contributor II

Thanks, that worked for me like a charm

iEvangelos
New Contributor

That's an awesome post for ARD. It saves having to export each list manually and then going through importing them all again.
Worked flawlessly for me! Thanks a lot @NoahRJ !