Are people using anything like DEPNotify for iPads?

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Curious if anyone is doing antyhing like DEPNotify for iPads. Basically, after enrolling via ADE, want to prompt the technician/user to enter the username of the user it's going to, department, building, room, etc.

I could force the iPad into single app mode, Safari, and point it at a webpage until the device has valid registration, etc.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

jphillips
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We are doing something similar. I wrote an iPad app that we call RapidLaunch, where the user just taps their school/department and it facilitates naming the iPad to our naming convention and moving it to the right Jamf site. The way it works:

1. User goes through ADE, where they are prompted to input their AD credentials. This assigns the user to the iPad in Jamf.
  2. RapidLaunch is deployed to the iPad with a Managed App Config.
  3. A profile is installed that hides all apps except for our RapidLaunch app.
  4. User taps RapidLaunch and taps their school/department. The app grabs all the user info from Jamf to present a sort of summary screen.
  5. User taps Complete and the device is renamed, put into the correct Jamf site, an inventory update is performed, and is then rebooted.

We recently did a training for our new school-based techs to demonstrate.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

@jphillips That's pretty cool! I assume all custom coded to work with your jamf instance, get the location code, etc?

jphillips
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Yep. I wanted to learn Swift and after seeing DEPNotify, I decided this would be one of the projects that I'd build to round out our automations.

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

Very cool stuff, @jphillips!

rstasel
Valued Contributor

Hmm, Jamf setup looks like it does part of what we're after. The think we really need is more than a single question. We're not deploying to students. Technicians need a way to set the role (FacStaff, Shared, Loaner), username that's the owner of the iPad, and ideally building and room. We do all of this in DEPNotify obviously, but that doesn't help us with iOS. We could use a webpage, but then we have to write it in PHP (or the like), give api permissions, etc.

Anyone doing anything like this at all? Or are we forced to learn swift to do ourselves with an in-house app (which, not exactly sure I wanna go down that road).