ASM configuration while off campus?

pbenware1
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Greetings all,
Curious if any one is or has used Apple School Manager/DEP from off campus to configure new Macs.
With the current state of operations being in a total work from home mode due to COVID-19, leadership is now suggesting that we may be 8 weeks or more off campus.
With that, they are asking if new computers can be configured from home/off campus, using existing tools (not withstanding the logistics of getting it directly to the user)
Our JSS is in the cloud, along with our DP. We don't bind to AD, we use (mostly) local accounts. Most users are Admins on the computers (sigh).

Based on our current configuration, I suspect DEP should work, but have not yet tested. ( to do so I need to get a Mac that I can comfortably wipe, which requires a visit to the office first.)

Has anyone else done this? Does it work?
Any gotchas or other things to be aware of?

TIA
Phil

2 REPLIES 2

robertojok
Contributor

From personal experience I’ve found that it works much better than from the institutions unless we are using Ethernet otherwise our WiFi configuration is horrible... only thing to be mindful of is installation of large packages like Adobe cc, which can be excluded not to be availed outside the institution.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@pbenware1 Unless you somehow have your JSS configured to only work with devices on your campus network's IP range you should be ready to go for enrolling something that's off campus.

As for testing ADE/DEP without access to a physical device you can use VMware Fusion Pro to create a Mac VM that will go through ADE/DEP. The article Automated MDM Enrolment and VMWare Fusion gives a good overview, but it a little out of date. To edit the .vmx file just right-click on the VM in the Fusion window and then hold down the Option key to select "Open Config File in Editor" and if the serial # you're using is in one of your PreStage Enrollments you should be good to go once you've edited the .vmx. You can do all this with VMware Fusion Pro in 30-day trial mode.