Auto deploy and update clients Zoom App

j_allenbrand
Contributor

Hi,

Is there a way to automatically update/install zoom app on all computers?

18 REPLIES 18

j_allenbrand
Contributor

We want to do this force push via jamf pro

JJT
New Contributor II

You can just download the zoom.pkg from Zoom's website and put it into a Jamf policy and set the triggers to whatever you wish. We use recurring check-in and login triggers. Then scope it to the appropriate groups or in your case, all computers. Any updates after that can just be repushed and should update the currently installed version.

Olivia4922
New Contributor

If want to keep up with the updates, I would recommend AutoPkg/AutoPkgr (GUI version) too for keeping up with versions and uploading the newest version to Jamf Pro. ModTitan (emily) wrote a helpful guide on how to setup.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Heads up, but they have two installers if memory serves; one for commercial and one for IT Admins. The current commercial one has a line to open the app at the end of the post install, and even when runs as part of a policy the logged in user was still prompted to allow access to Desktop/Documents/Downloads etc per Catalina. PPPC controls could mitigate this but it can be a little jarring if folks aren't aware.

timlarsen
Contributor

Just to add my 2¢, you could also write a script that direct downloads (cURLs) the package from https://zoom.us/client/latest/Zoom.pkg (which will always download the latest version of the Zoom installer, provided the vendor does not change their download URL anytime soon), then runs the installer command to install the pkg. I haven't worked on a way of automatically updating apps like Zoom yet, but putting something like what I've described above in Self Service will at least give users the ability to always grab the latest version every time.

timlarsen
Contributor

@andrew.nicholas good point, I noticed that as well. I haven't downloaded the IT admin version, but does that package NOT have a postinstall script that opens up the application automatically like the consumer version does?

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@timlarsen Unsure. We're not currently a Zoom shop but I was getting it a go to patch up to the latest version JIC for those that had it and then noticed that. Was also unable to deconstruct that package and change the post-install/resign.

j_allenbrand
Contributor

It seems Im only seeing the consumer DMG download also it seems that AutoPkg give me an error when Im trying to run the installer/update script.

yetanothermarti
New Contributor II

I would like to have it set up so the Zoom.pkg version we have in our policy is installed only if zoom.us.app is missing on the computer. After that it is okay if users update Zoom from within the app when the app recommends it. As it is now the Zoom version we have in the policy keeps installing over any newer Zoom version people might have updated to every time the policy runs (i.e. at check-in).

In other words; what criteria would you use use for the Smart Computer Group to get the below function?

Only run the policy if no zoom.us.app is present on the computer (in /Applications)

Currently we have it set up like in the below screenshot (”Alla datorer” means ”All computers” in Swedish).
6bc778b9254a4203b78609d7d17edba9

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@yetanothermartin

Remove everything but the first line. And remove the open parenthesis at the beginning of that line.

timgep
New Contributor II

Use the Zoom for IT Admins version. Put it into Patch Management, and push it out. When a new Zoom update comes out, you need to download the package into Jamf (Settings->Computer Management->Packages), then assign the package to the latest version under Definition in Patch Management.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

This is a great opportunity to bring up AutoPKG and JSS Importer. I don't think I have built a single Zoom package for my entire time at this job. My automation and built it and deployed it for me.

GregE
Contributor

Great curl script in this thread also, since updating Zoom is a hot topic again post 'malware-like installer and now Facebook Analytics".

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/29561/script-to-install-update-zoom

yetanothermarti
New Contributor II

@stevewood

Thanks for the suggestion, but I would also like to be able to update the Zoom application the clients via Jamf whenever we upload a new version in Jamf Admin. If I follow your suggestion, the only way to update Zoom after it has been installed once via Jamf is to go through the into Zoom built-in updater or manually doing something on each client, right?

It would be great if it was both possible for users to update from within Zoom, but also – if the installed Zoom version is older than what we have in Jamf – the package installer is run again. Maybe just have to fiddle with the criteria…

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@yetanothermartin

Take a look at the link @gregE posted. That post has some scripts for autoupdating Zoom. In particular this post in that thread:

Update Zoom Script

There's an EA in there you could use as well.

The problem with putting a specific version in a Smart Group is that each time the app updates you have to update your Smart Group to catch the right machines. Best way is to use a regex to check version, but even then, each time Zoom updates you have to change that regex.

The better way to do this would be to set one of those scripts to run once per week, or once per day if you're paranoid and you don't have a lot of endpoints (more than 5,000 or so depending on server infra). That way the script checks the version installed against the version on Zoom's site and will download and install if different.

yetanothermarti
New Contributor II

Sometimes I'm thinking it would be great with a section in Self Service where apps the user has installed get listed if they have an update – much like how it works in Apple's App Store. If we as Jamf admins also could control when an app would show up there that would be good, i.e. after I have tested a new version (for example Zoom) and then I upload the package to the Jamf server and check a box for it to show up in the list of app updates the user has.

What do you think or that?

Maybe a bit confusing having app updates show up both in App Store and in Self Service, but I think it's a good idea to avoid installing updates of things that we don't know the implications of and also it's not always a good idea to do it when the user aren't prepared and might be using the software. At time maybe the advantages of updating in the background at a certain schedule is larger than expecting the user to manually update when it suits them. 🤔

eob455
New Contributor II

How are you all handling Zoom's Accessibility requirement for remote control under Security & Privacy > Accessibility? Our user's are not Admins and cannot approve Zoom for remote control.

Mr_Suaz
New Contributor II

@eob455

Configuration Profile 43b8dcb7780f49228d0104bd7feeb277