Auto enroll not working for MBPs

Dohadwalat
New Contributor II

Hi, we have some MBP 16" we purchased in Dec 2022. we were able to deploy a few using the auto-enroll process. we have a couple of devices left. when we try to auto-enroll them now, we are stuck at the remote management screen - when I click on continue, it says retrieving enrollment profile and nothing happens. we are stuck at this stage.

I have confirmed the token has not expired. I have put in a new token just as it was to expire after a couple of days.

I have confirmed the network setting are OK. 
I checked the devices under the --> Settings --> Global --> Automated Device Enrollment

here I can see the serial numbers for the 2 MBPs in question, which shows enrollment done on 17/12/2022. it is assigned to the correct group - SG-MacBook Pro - M1. however, it does not have a device name for these 2 machines. 

how can i resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Depending on how well versed you are with troubleshooting MDM work flows it may be best to open a ticket with JAMF. 

The order at which I would approach:

• Check JAMF Logs. See if you can find anything in the logs for those devices attempting to enroll.
  • Try to reenroll one of your test devices to see if issues effect that device also
    • If the test device enrolls, reimage your two problem devices
    • If the test device also fails, continue
  • If your JAMF instance is on prem, confirm the JAMF server can talk to Apple and the devices
  • If the devices are on prem confirm the devices can talk to Apple and JAMF
  • If all else fails check logs on the device
    • CTL + OPTION + CMD + C from setup assistant will open console 
    • CTL + OPTION + CMD + T from setup assistant will open terminal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Depending on how well versed you are with troubleshooting MDM work flows it may be best to open a ticket with JAMF. 

The order at which I would approach:

• Check JAMF Logs. See if you can find anything in the logs for those devices attempting to enroll.
  • Try to reenroll one of your test devices to see if issues effect that device also
    • If the test device enrolls, reimage your two problem devices
    • If the test device also fails, continue
  • If your JAMF instance is on prem, confirm the JAMF server can talk to Apple and the devices
  • If the devices are on prem confirm the devices can talk to Apple and JAMF
  • If all else fails check logs on the device
    • CTL + OPTION + CMD + C from setup assistant will open console 
    • CTL + OPTION + CMD + T from setup assistant will open terminal

Dohadwalat
New Contributor II

Hi AJPinto, 

Thanks for sharing. 

Are the JAMF logs you mention the Event Logs or the JAMF Server Logs?
At present, the JAMF Server logs are not enabled as it mentions that it will affect the performance of the JAMF Server.

The event logs do not have any reference to the automated device enrollment.

We have reinstalled the OS on one of the machines and it is now able to complete the enrollment. So I am not sure if the issue was the OS installed on the machine being outdated and that affected the enrollment.

Thanks for your help.