Balsamiq Mockups

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Hey hive mind, do any of you manage users that use Balsamiq Mockups? I'm trying to figure out an extension attribute that can report the installed registration key, but I cannot for the life of me find where the key is stored. I checked the usual places (/Library/Applications/, inside the app itself, etc.) but can't find a file that references a key at all. Does anyone have experience with this app? Has anyone ever tried building an EA to find the registration key?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

kish_jayson
Contributor

Haven't tried creating an Extension Attribute to report on this, but I can tell you the license information is stored in the home directory of each user. I learned this from their support team when trying to repackage the software using our volume license key. It certainly has complicated things for our automated deployment.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Were you able to deploy at all just using Composer and having it capture the entry of the registration key? I used composer to capture an install but I didn't see the key anywhere in the files captured. Tricky…

kish_jayson
Contributor

To be honest I haven't used Composer to package the software. Instead I just opted to use PackageMaker and only deploy the application to the /Applications directory. Then I apply the license after-the-fact using the following method and Apple Remote Desktop:

http://support.balsamiq.com/customer/portal/articles/133390-silent-mockups-for-desktop-installation

I gave up trying to capture the license file since it's not stored in a system wide location and because we have such a small number of users whom utilize this software.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

So is there actually a license file? Somewhere?

kish_jayson
Contributor

Yes. It's actually stored in one of the two following folders located at ~/Library/Preferences/.

BalsamiqMockupsForDesktop
BalsamiqMockupsForDesktop.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.1

Presumably inside one of the database (.db) files.