Bare metal imaging workflow

psmeltzer
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm reasonably new to casper and think I have pretty good grasp of client management with smart groups, profiles and package deployments for our recent mavericks and up mac stock now. I'm a bit stumped with what to do with our oldest mac stock. They are a mix of Mountain Lion and Lion and have had users with local admin and several past attempts to manage them with different products. I'd like to start fresh and the users themselves are keen on that too.

However while I can reinstall the OS from a USB stick straight to Yosemite and quick add them I'd like to get netboot and casper imaging working for the long term.

I've got a netboot image made from a fresh download of Yosemite with autoDMG and AutoCasperNBI working nicely and from casper imaging I can then deploy and OS image I created with autoDMG but here's where I run into my lack of understanding.

Obviously because I used autoDMG my image is a flesh OS with no user accounts etc so when I image the machine turns up on the JSS with no inventory detail, doesn't get domain joined and has no local accounts.

Searches on here indicate what I need for this style of imaging is a postflight script which I found a great example of from steve wood here. Now I've run into a snag that is probably obvious.

Where do I put my postflight script to have it dropped on with the image and run? and when in the sequence should I be running it. If there is a good blog or JAMF artical for step by step setting this up google foo is failing me.

2 REPLIES 2

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

For the script you just add it to your Casper Admin configuration to run at reboot, the Mac will then get imaged, reboot and run the configuration script.

For directory binding it is the same, create it in the JSS web interface and add it to the configuration.

I'm not sure about step by step guides but someone else might know where there is one.

Hope this helps but post back if you're still stuck as there is a lot of expertise on the deployment subject on this forum.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

@psmeltzer Have you taken a look at the app Casper Admin?
You will have gotten this with your purchase, along with the rest of the casper suite of apps.

You control what you can install along with the base OS from here, including scripts, packages, directory bindings, printers etc. Create a new configuration and then play around a bit.