Best practice for using sites?

anayat_chowdhur
New Contributor II

We have had a cloud instance for a while now, and we've only been managing machines in our region, we're taking over the management for another region soon, and would like to use Sites to manage those. Having created a new site, one for ourselves and one for the other region, I see that all existing config, devices, policies and settings fall under the Full Jamf Pro default site. We haven't yet added any settings for the new region or any machines, so right now I'd just like to move all existing data into the site created for our region.

Does anyone have a checklist of all the things that need to be attributed to a site? Or any other clever ways of doing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

talkingmoose

Be absolutely sure you understand what the Sites feature is for.

It's NOT for organizing your devices. It's for allowing a Jamf Pro administrator to delegate control of devices to a person or group of people. If you're taking over the management of another region, you're not delegating control and you shouldn't use Sites unless you're planning to allow current administrators for those devices to maintain control of them. If all Jamf Pro administrators will manage all devices, don't use Sites.

Sites can make things very confusing with regard to finding objects, scoping, etc. Also, some Site level administrators won't have the ability to create packages or manage many of the items under Settings in Jamf Pro.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

You can associate a site with every objects (policies, profiles, search, smart group etc) in Jamf. You can manually move all the objects to the required site. Refer the below post which talks about changing the site for a computer through API. 

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/automated-way-to-change-a-site/td-p/159268

talkingmoose

Be absolutely sure you understand what the Sites feature is for.

It's NOT for organizing your devices. It's for allowing a Jamf Pro administrator to delegate control of devices to a person or group of people. If you're taking over the management of another region, you're not delegating control and you shouldn't use Sites unless you're planning to allow current administrators for those devices to maintain control of them. If all Jamf Pro administrators will manage all devices, don't use Sites.

Sites can make things very confusing with regard to finding objects, scoping, etc. Also, some Site level administrators won't have the ability to create packages or manage many of the items under Settings in Jamf Pro.

This is helpful. I was just asked if I could auto-assign Macs to a site during enrollment. I see that we can assign to a site during PreStage but that won't work for us. Not all Macs would need to go to the same site and I really don't want to maintain multiple PreStages. It would be a mess. Since sites are NOT for organizing, I need to auto assign Macs enrolled in specific regions to a specific building or room (or both) but it needs to be automatic. Maybe the IP address from which the system is connecting to Jamf Pro will be what we would use.