Big Sur: Symantec WSS Agent 7.2.1.14589

bwoods
Valued Contributor

Currently testing WSS 7.2.1.14589. Does anyone know if Symantec provides a content filter to stop pop-ups during installation?

46 REPLIES 46

LaMantia
New Contributor III

bump

nsbickhart
Contributor

Getting ready to test this as well, I haven't seen anything.

LaMantia
New Contributor III

I can confirm this is the correct System extension. Works fine on macOS Catalina and Big Sur. Just need root cert payload and VPN filter?

LaMantia
New Contributor III

10413209f4324dc7b9ec2d0553f1e65d
Screen shot..

ooftee
New Contributor III

@LaMantia Thanks for this, is the VPN content filter a generic one or org specific?
If generic, would you mind sharing it.

bwoods
Valued Contributor

@LaMantia that's the system extension. I need the content filter for the network filter feature.

nsbickhart
Contributor

progress. wss 7.2.1.14589 with the system extension above, shows activated and I'm not getting the pop ups other than the vpn configurations. I have a message out to our team that manages symantec to see if they can find a profile or a web content filter for wss. If I find anything I'll post it.

IamGroot
New Contributor III

@nsbickhart Any luck finding anything? I've been trying to figure it out as well and haven't gotten very far.

nsbickhart
Contributor

@IamGroot nope, haven't found anything. I did find out that the new WSS agent is showing in crash reports and am getting the "your computer restarted because of a problem" message when rebooting. I wish we could just not use Symantec.

LaMantia
New Contributor III

I think Broadcom is telling us to have the user accept the content filter???

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/web-and-network-security/web-security-service/Help/Connectivity_3/conn-about-wssa/conn-wssa-jamf.html

bwoods
Valued Contributor

My team has basically convinced our info sec team to get rid of all Symantec products. They have let us down in the past, but they've completely failed this year. SEP isn't working on Big Sur properly and they failed to provide a content filter for the WSS. If you can, please drop these losers as soon as possible. We're moving to Palo Alto Cortex and Global Protect.

No M1 support, until Q2??? What a joke. Get it together Symantec.

markdmatthews
Contributor

In our environment I am seeing where we need both the old Approved KEXT for macOS 10.15x:
Display Name: Broadcom, Inc
Team ID: Y2CCP3S9W7
Approved Kernel Extensions (Bundle ID): com.symantec.kext.wssa

and the System Extension for macOS 11.x:
Display Name: Broadcom, Inc
System Extension Types: Allowed System Extensions
Team ID: Y2CCP3S9W7
Allowed System Extension: com.symantec.wssa.wssax

Working with support to verify the pkg provided by SME is right, we are also getting notifications for VPN config to account for on macOS 11.x
c04616e5c29d46bf8a23376fd6b0da2b

LaMantia
New Contributor III

@markdmatthews , Thanks for the update. I had my admin to put in a ticket to address this VPN config too.

IamGroot
New Contributor III

@markdmatthews Did you have any luck getting the config profile settings for the VPN stuff in 11.x?

IamGroot
New Contributor III

@markdmatthews @LaMantia @bwoods @nsbickhart After doing some research I finally came across https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/web-and-network-security/web-security-service/Help/Connectivity_3/conn-about-wssa/conn-wssa-bigsur.html. According to Broadcom the VPN prompt can't be automated per "This step in the process cannot be automated in an MDM. Currently, Apple does not support the MDM profile configuration of Transparent Proxy Providers." Considering it's Broadcom/Symantec, that's hard to believe but I'll take their word for it. I hope this information helps everyone else that's been waiting for an answer.

markdmatthews
Contributor

@IamGroot I was able to 100% automate those via:
1. Select ‘Computers > Configuration Profiles’
2. Select New
3. Select the Options tab > General payload a. Name enter Symantec WSS Agent - VPN Profiles b. Description enter “WSS Agent Tunnel (Packet-tunnel) and WSS Agent Proxy (App-proxy) for macOS Big Sur and later.” c. Category choose Applications d. Distribution Method choose Install Automatically e. Level choose Computer Level
4. Select > VPN payload, select Configure a. Connection Name enter WSS Agent Tunnel b. Verify VPN Type is VPN c. Connection Type select Custom SSL d. Identifier enter com.symantec.wssa.ui e. Server enter 127.0.0.1 f. Enable Provider Bundle Identifier i. Provider Bundle Identifier enter com.symantec.wssa.wssax g. Provider Type select Packet-tunnel h. Enable Provider Designated Requirement i. Provider Designated Requirement enter “anchor apple generic and identifier "com.symantec.wssa.wssax" and (certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.9] / exists / or certificate 1[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.2.6] / exists / and certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.13] / exists / and certificate leaf[subject.OU] = Y2CCP3S9W7)”
5. Scroll up and choose Add + a. Connection Name enter WSS Agent Proxy b. Verify VPN Type is VPN c. Connection Type select Custom SSL d. Identifier enter com.symantec.wssa.ui e. Server enter 127.0.0.1 f. Enable Provider Bundle Identifier i. Provider Bundle Identifier enter com.symantec.wssa.wssax g. Provider Type select App-proxy h. Enable Provider Designated Requirement i. Provider Designated Requirement enter “anchor apple generic and identifier "com.symantec.wssa.wssax" and (certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.9] / exists / or certificate 1[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.2.6] / exists / and certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.13] / exists / and certificate leaf[subject.OU] = Y2CCP3S9W7)”

** Scope to Big Sur (or later i.e. Not Like 10.5)

markdmatthews
Contributor

Now seeing issue with Big Sur on the System Extension (even though it is on the device already prior to WSS installation)

b66ce575ef8b49e482ad758748ae671c

f50c1a402fcf41d49be40857b51bd3a4

IamGroot
New Contributor III

@markdmatthews Thank you a ton! You just saved me so much frustration that I've been dealing with. I really appreciate that. Something I've noticed is that it installs two proxy filters, WSS Agent Tunnel and WSS Agent Proxy. When I Allow them to be installed it appears the internet connection on the endpoint completely cuts off until I uninstall WSS Agent. However, when I ignored the Allow or Don't Allow and simply logged out and back in, it only installed the WSS Agent Tunnel adapter and the internet connection is fine. Have you ran into that at all?

As for the System Extension, what happens if you leave the Display Name blank? I have mine blank and the rest of the same configurations you have and it appears to be installing fine right now.

markdmatthews
Contributor

@IamGroot not ran into that at all; I am currently testing upgrades and new installs for 10.15.x and 11.x on Intel and M1 based devices.

At this point I would be willing to try anything – although I feel like they are missing an "Identifier" in the documentation. They also do determine based on macOS version IF they "need" KEXT or System Ext (breaking out the pkg pres/postinstall scripts and installvars); not sure why they didn't kill off KEXT entirely.

ooftee
New Contributor III

I'm running into some strange issues as well. If I add the VPN payload to the config profile, WSS agent doesn't load properly. It seems like the SYSEXT is blocked even if it is MDM approved and I don't get any prompt asking me to manually approve it.
If I remove the VPN payload, the agent works fine but I get the VPN prompt which is what I'm trying to avoid...

bmack99
Contributor III

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/web-and-network-security/web-security-service/Help/Connectivity_3/conn-about-wssa/conn-wssa-bigsur.html - In following this, deployment of this config profile pre macOS upgrade to BigSur works fine, the WSS agent is functional. However post upgrade we are seeing the prompt to enable the System Extension. Has anyone here been able to automate this approval? Relying on our end users to approve this is simply not an option.

ooftee
New Contributor III

I had both com.symantec.wssa.wssax and com.symantec.wssa.ui listed in the allowed System Extensions payload, removing com.symantec.wssa.ui seems to have fixed it.
FYI, I've also been testing WSS 8.0 and seeing some major improvement with the whitelisting process. MS Teams was giving us a lot of grief but v8.0 can use wildcards with .app which has done the trick.

nsbickhart
Contributor

Symantec finally updated their documentation for wss agent on Big Sur. I added the vpn profiles as stated in the article and no more popups on Big Sur from the first device I loaded.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/web-and-network-security/web-security-service/Help/Connectivity_3/conn-about-wssa/conn-wssa-bigsur.html

markdmatthews
Contributor

@ooftee Is this on Big Sur? Still seeing issues on Big Sur (new deployments) with Pkg deploying KEXT (Kernal Extension) in Symantec WSS Agent 7.2.1.14589.pkg; once installed rebuilding AuxKC as a System Extension.

This requires user approval and a restart... anyone else seeing this?

I wouldn’t expect a ‘Kernel Extension Update’ in that instance (on a brand new zero touch Big Sur deployment) and from a Broadcom perspective the ask is for a Pkg for macOS 11 or later that ONLY includes a System Extension at deployment.
07899687eb024563bf3f3a7ca2d09cd2

bmack99
Contributor III

@nsbickhart - in following those instructions from Broadcom I am still seeing a user prompt that the System Extension was Updated when upgrading a machine from 10.14 or 10.15 to Big Sur. I haven't tested a clean Big Sur install then JAMF enrollment and installation of the config profile and the WSS agent. I have a case open with Broadcom on this and am awaiting a response.

ooftee
New Contributor III

@markdmatthews Yes I've been testing on fresh installs of Big Sur, Catalina has been fine all along.

nsbickhart
Contributor

@brianmcbride99 working pretty good on new installs of big sur. Still seeing popups when upgrading. I believe the profile has to be installed on the device before the application or you will get the popups. I am seeing wss hose up internet browsing, but that could be something that our symantec team needs to fix. If I find out why that's happening, I'll post it.

achilcott
New Contributor

@markdmatthews I'm seeing what you're seeing but with Blackmagic Inc. Design Software as Per: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/38634/kernel-extensions-big-sur-blackmagic.

They are still using KEXTs under Big Sur.

But I don't know if this is due to the Software being installed prior to the Configuration Profile being loaded as per @brianmcbride99 . I need to test on a fresh install.

I'm seeing the pop-up even after entering all of the suggested Bundle IDs.

Not applicable

I did find out that the new WSS agent is showing in crash reports and am getting the "your computer restarted because of a problem" message when rebooting. I wish we could just not use Symantec.

bmack99
Contributor III

We are on 7.2.1 of WSS, and are having a ton of issues in Big Sur as well @user-kGyZmDeZOD Some of which are below:
- Teams direct calling does not work
- NAT issues in Windows VMs, internal vpn traffic does not appear to be routed correctly

IamGroot
New Contributor III

@brianmcbride99 We're seeing similar issues. Our Split Tunnel VPN's don't work with WSS and our full tunnel one does. Everything is configured properly on the WSS Management console too. It's very odd.

markdmatthews
Contributor

@nsbickhart on new installations of Big Sur you aren't being prompted "System Extension Updated"?

bmack99
Contributor III

Just came across this @IamGroot https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/web-and-network-security/web-security-service/Help/Connectivity_3/conn-about-wssa/conn-wssa-bypassapp.html

So something that worked without issue in previous WSS agent versions and macOS versions now suddenly we have to identify ourselves and create bypasses for??? Is Broadcom literally trying to force users to a different product.(
e701936ef61f48bbb0917261bd7a34f9
)

IamGroot
New Contributor III

@brianmcbride99 I didn't even notice that on there, thank you! This seems to be the new thing for vendors. We recently introduced another product into our environment that made us add app bypass filters as well for these kinds of things. It's a very tedious process as you have to identify each and every application you want bypassed. I agree with you, some vendors are really trying their hardest to lose their customers. I'll try this out today and let you know if I have any luck. Fingers crossed!

markdmatthews
Contributor

No one else seeing "warning" on new Big Sur (macOS 11) deployments?
ad91a343473349fa98b7930b23337ff3

bmack99
Contributor III

@markdmatthews - we are seeing something similar to this when upgrading to macOS 11, only stating something to the effect of the system extension being updated and needs to be approved. I'm assuming you are pre deploying the config profile approving the system extension and setting the VPN settings as they mention here

I did, and still get the approval prompt similar to yours. I have an open case with Broadcom, with zero movement in over a week.

nsbickhart
Contributor

I've been working with Broadcom support on this. We use falcon and anyconnect. Bypassed both, running 7.2 and it still seems to be fighting with anyconnect. I grabbed some more pcap logs and sent to support but haven't heard anything back since last week. The profiles for system extension/vpn seem to be taking care of the popups on new loads, but the issue remains with navigating to anything via a browser, it just won't allow anything out. Sometimes, if you click disconnect on the wss tunnel, it'll let you out, but it's all random.

nsbickhart
Contributor

Good news. I was provided with wss agent 7.3.5.15179. I tested briefly on Big Sur and it is no longer locking up web browsing and I'm no longer seeing disconnects in the logs. Lots more testing to do, but it's looking good.

I believe 7.3.5.15179 is being released on Friday.

IamGroot
New Contributor III

@nsbickhart Thanks for the update. I tried reaching out to our WSS admin but he stated he doesn't see it in the download portal. Is that something you had to reach out to Symantec to get?