Big Sur + System Extensions = Reboot Hell

cainehorr
Contributor III

During our testing of Big Sur, we're finding many apps are relying on System Extensions (ie Carbon Black, osquery, Google Drive Stream, etc.)

It seems like each and every one of these prompts the user to accept and reboot.

Has anyone had any success in automating this process or at least chaining them together for a single reboot.

This is going to kill the Zero-Touch with a single reboot experience.

Apple's Big Sur seems more like Apple's BS!

It harkens back to the days of Windows Vista - https://youtu.be/VuqZ8AqmLPY

Kind regards,

Caine Hörr

A reboot a day keeps the admin away!

8 REPLIES 8

I_AM_ROOT
New Contributor

Following..

wmehilos
Contributor

If you have them whitelisted before installation, it should stage them all and let them "chain" together for a single reboot.

It's not like the system HAS to be rebooted immediately upon acceptance of the extension, it's just that the extension won't be fully loaded until after that reboot.

I've had to make almost no changes to my DEPNotify workflow to handle System Extensions. Still one reboot.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

I also think the idea that a user NEVER has to reboot is setting themselves up for pain. My first question for every end user is "Have your rebooted yet?"

That being said, looking forward to any solutions to this issue.

cainehorr
Contributor III

@wmehilos - Can you explain a bit more about your definition of "white listing" in this context? You may have just solved this issue for more many of us! Thanks!

Kind regards,

Caine Hörr

A reboot a day keeps the admin away!

wmehilos
Contributor

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I want to clarify something here, and add more context. In Big Sur, apps can still use kernel extensions, which in some cases are required for full functionality. For example, Carbon Black can run in kernel or system extension mode, but many important features require the kernel extension to be loaded.

Big Sur will still call kernel extensions "system extensions" in dialogs, so this can be confusing when we all discuss it. Whitelisting the kernel extension does not allow it to load, and another action is needed: either manual approval by the user (and a restart), or a special MDM command to rebuild the kernel extension cache (which also forces a restart). It's this MDM command that Jamf does not support, leaving us with user approval as an absolute requirement for the software to function.

wmehilos
Contributor

Can't you rebuild the kext cache manually with kextcache -i /?

user-kmBoAKdQoc
New Contributor
Can't you rebuild the kext cache manually with kextcache -i /?

Can you Please explain how to use it ?