Bind Lion 10.7.4 to AD quit working!

danielo
New Contributor III

I have a room full of Lion 10.7.4 machines. They were imaged and joined to 2008r2 AD a few months ago. I'm in the process of reimaging them, but they won't join the domain. All I get is the "Node name wasn't found. (2000)" error. This happens if I do it from terminal with jamf bind or if I do it through the the Login pane. I went back to a machine that was on the domain, and I unjoined it and tried to rejoin, and I got the same error. I've checked the date/time on everything. I've tried deleted the AD computer accounts, and I've tried prepopulating the AD computer accounts. It has randomly worked a few times, but I can't figure out the pattern. What else can I do?? School starts on Monday...

--Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

danielo
New Contributor III

Turns out it was some sort of DNS issue. I had tried using IP addresses, but I still couldn't get it to work. I finally switched to a different DC, and it suddenly worked perfectly. I'm not sure what that means for the first DC I was using, but I'm just happy it's working right now.

--Daniel

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

Did you check that the account you are using is permitted to join the machines to the domain? Another issue I've seen is that the name of the machine you are trying to bind has illegal characters or spaces and that it's 16 characters or less. Also I would double check that the machines can resolve the DNS if you are using FQDN.

danielo
New Contributor III

Turns out it was some sort of DNS issue. I had tried using IP addresses, but I still couldn't get it to work. I finally switched to a different DC, and it suddenly worked perfectly. I'm not sure what that means for the first DC I was using, but I'm just happy it's working right now.

--Daniel

danielo
New Contributor III

Well, it's back to not working again. I imaged the lab yesterday, and when I came in today, there were 5 computers that didn't join. And now it's doing the exact same thing no matter what I do. And of course, one of them is the professor computer. I'm about to work on my resume.

--Daniel

josaxo
New Contributor

Have you tried creating a new Active Directory Binding via JSS > Settings > Casper Admin > New Directory Binding

I was having the same issue as you, and noticed that if i deployed the active directory binding via policy or self service, the machine would bind successfully. Just make sure the machine object exists, and the account that is configured in the directory binding has the proper rights.