MCX from OD Then rollout Casper all New users no MCX?

tijones
New Contributor II

Hey Guys.

New here, Just had our jumpstart and ready to go, Picture this Jss 8.6

OD and AD bound Mac 10.7.3 with MCX from OD

Push the Quick-add to the machine via ARD, Success!

No impact for existing users can remote etc :)

However, When a new user that has never logged into the machine before they receive no MCX or anything just gives us a very slow login and flashes the screen several times like its trying to apply MCX but it fails.

Any one had this issue?

3 REPLIES 3

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Is MCX enabled in Casper too? If you have OD, not sure if it's a good idea to have MCX enabled in Capser, but I've seen it enabled in both places (mistake made by a tech with too much access). :)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

I agree with Don. You may have Managed Preferences trying to override each other. You should probably pick one or the other. If you must use both check for overlap. I would try scoping the problem machines as a test. You could manually try applying the JAMF MCX with a jamf mcx in the terminal.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim,

As someone that managed tons of Macs via Casper and OD for many years, I will also concur with the rest of the people here. Really, you should choose one or the other, and they function pretty much the same. I know back during the days of the mailing list some people claimed to use both at the same time. I found they often conflicted and went with OD until we decided to get rid of it and use Casper, which happened right after I left that job.

Once you BIND a client to your OD server they should receive MCX, if you want to use Casper, you can delete out the existing MCX records (also undo them in WGM) and then let Casper handle it, and use OD for authentication.

Hope this helps,
Tom