block the installation of a specific apple software update ( outside our network )

spowell01
Contributor

Hello, we have a need to block a specific software update from installing when users are outside our network and referencing apples software update server. When outside our network, our users hit apples software update server, and currently we do not have an internal ML SUS, so ML users hit apples server too. There is a bad xerox driver update that breaks our printing. Users go home and inevitably get the bad driver, and have to reinstall our version from self service every time they come back to work. Is there a way i can specifically block the installation of 1 single apple software update from installing when the sus is apple? I already have it disabled from our internal SUS, but that does not help when the users are outside. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

This is exactly what I need to do today, to block the recent MacBook SMC updates- something weird going on. But as simple as this should be, it's not working for me.

After running:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore MacBookProSMCUpdate1.8-1.8

If I run softwareupdate --list again, it's still there. And confirmed still visible when running from the GUI. What gives?

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

Leave off the version.

sudo softwareupdate --ignore MacBookProSMCUpdate1.8

is what you want.