Blocking 10.9.5 update

ahopkins
New Contributor II

We are having an issue with students clicking the update for 10.9.5. I was thinking of pointing all the student MacBooks to a dummy update URL to stop this.

According to apple, this file: OSXUpdCombo10.9.5.dmg.download is also available on their webpage. Can I use restrictive software to block the infall of this DMG? I've used restrictive software to block just apps.

37 REPLIES 37

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The only way you could stop them installing it manually would be to block "Installer.app", but then that would mean no installations by the users since Installer.app is used by default when you double click any pkg installer. It can be done by setting that up in Restricted Software, but just wanted to make clear what that would result in.

An even less optimal alternative would be to block the DiskImageMounter process, which is what gets opened when you double click on a DMG. That would also stop it, but might actually be worse since then no disk images could be opened.

ahopkins
New Contributor II

Thank you for responding.

So any other updates I want to do, I have to unblock the installer app first.

The problem we are having on are MacBooks is students are updating and we are getting that "Black Screen". I guess it's a bad plist file for the log in window. They sent me a start up key combo and code, but that didn't work, so I'm re-imaging the computers. Im hoping another update will replace that one soon.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

If the computers stay on your network a dummy DNS entry would probably be the easiest. Otherwise, if there is a plist problem, have you tried just removing/replacing that plist?

plawrence
Contributor II

@ahopkins

Regarding the 'black screen at login window' error, do you see a mouse cursor there? We've had a few machines exhibit a problem where they boot to a black screen with a mouse cursor. In our environment we use a Policy Banner at the Login Window, and to fix the issue I SSH into the problem machine and rename /Library/Security/PolicyBanner.rtfd then reboot the machine, it then loads the Login Window normally so I rename the policy banner file back to its original name.

Could this help in your situation?

casey_319
New Contributor

It may be worth noting that 10.9.5 is required to run Apple's Bash Update 1.0 to patch the recent Bash vulnerabilities on Mavericks.

Although, maybe you have worked around this in some other manner.

Good luck.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

It's also worth noting that 10.9.5 addressed a major issue causing Adobe Premiere CC to crash, if that matters to any of y'all. (It certainly mattered to us!)

perrycj
Contributor III

Do you use a SUS? If so, you could just not enable it there and make sure their Software Update URL on your clients is pointing to your internal SUS only and they won't be able to get it that way.

Otherwise, you could also use restricted software option in your JSS and just block the process for the combo updater package. This is similar method used to block an OS X installer and will probably be used to block the Yosemite installer once that is public and released for free.

mm2270

You can't block the Combo or delta update installers like that with Restricted Software. When you open those the only process that shows up is "Installer.app" as I mentioned above. Unlike full OS installers which are actually applications with an executable, double clicking a package installer simply opens the installer app, so that's the only process that could be blocked. But any other valid packages that are double clicked on would also be blocked with that method. If its set up to only block "Installer.app" and you enable the option for exact matching, it should ignore the command line "installer" process, meaning scripted installs or Casper Suite pushes shouldn't be affected. (not tested)

Personally though, I would try to address the black screen issue. Its possible a simple PRAM reset might resolve some of those cases. It has for us in many situations. Have you tried that?
Also, are you sure the students are installing the "Combo" update and not just the regular or delta update. The former will update anything from 10.9.0 through 10.9.4, and the latter will only update a system already on 10.9.4.
We avoid installing the latter 'delta' updates because they traditionally tend to be more problematic. You may want to see if the Combo update actually installs OK and doesn't cause the black screen problem. If so, consider actually posting that into Self Service for your students to install. That way you get to control what gets installed and they get to install something they obviously want to install. Otherwise you're really playing a game of whack-a-mole. Since they're able to install it at all I assume they have admin rights on their Macs, which means its really kind of impossible to stop them from installing it if they are determined to.

perrycj
Contributor III

@mm2270 I stand corrected! ha.

But if using a SUS, that is still valid. Just don't enable it. Also maybe block Apple's support site? You probably don't want your students going there anyway.

Banks
Contributor

Pardon, but may I respectfully ask why we're trying to solve the wrong problem? DON'T BLINDLY BLOCK UPDATES. Test releases, yes. Fix your loginwindow issue by FIXING YOUR LOGINWINDOW ISSUE. There is no strong information(maybe since we've been spending time barking up the wrong tree, the subject of this thread should be different IMO) that your symptom is shared by many others besides the report of a policy banner CAUSING the issue. If you want your login window (ARE you applying management to it?) to work after applying the update, fix it, because it doesn't seem like Apple considers this a bug. If you REALLY believe 10.9.5 is the problem, share your radar number, maybe put it on open radar so others can review your symptoms. This may also be relevant: https://discussions.apple.com/message/25193908#25193908 Sorry to sound harsh, hope this sounds reasonable.
Allister

mm2270

@Banks,
Definitely reasonable, which is kind of why I suggested in the second half of my last post that I personally would try to solve the black screen issue and also offer the update in Self Service to ensure the proper update is being applied, rather than attempting to block it. I would agree with your assessment that just blocking things because of an initial problem isn't the best approach. I sometimes have a bad habit of jumping in and providing an answer or possible solution without actually stopping to ask what the real need is for the request.

That said, we also have to take into account everyone's individual skill level here. People like yourselves are experienced master technicians and solving a black screen at boot issue is probably like a walk in the park. Same would be true for many folks here.
But take a quick look at ahopkins' profile here and you'll see he's been a teacher for the last 20 years and only in the last year took on a technology role, so he's still learning this stuff. Maybe he was under pressure from teachers and students to prevent the systems from booting into a black screen and it wouldn't have been unreasonable for him to conclude that blocking the update until he was able to spend the time figuring out the issue was the quickest course of action.
I guess all I'm saying is that while I agree troubleshooting and solving the actual problem is best, lets try not to be too harsh and judge those that don't (yet) have expert troubleshooting skills.

SeanA
Contributor III

@Banks,

It is a valid troubleshooting step to block software (perceived source of problem) to provide time to figure out a problem.

In my opinion, you failed in your attempt to "respectfully" ask.

lsmc08
Contributor

Hello all,

I agree with some of what @Banks mentioned and I agree even more with @mm2270 point of view.

For most of us, it's all about the environment and the people who you work for. And most of the time, it's all about minimizing the noise and putting out some fires, because that's what the people and the environment are requiring.

Yes, from an efficient and productive IT operation, you would want to fix something well and not rely on a bandage approach... but again, at time, a bandage can give you some breathing room for you to later concentrate and devote time to find and implement that ultimate, best solution.

So, @ahopkins, if blocking 10.9.5 is what would work for you now, go ahead and minimize that noise and put out that fire. Once things settle and there's some calm in your environment, you can concentrate on fixing the "Black Screen" window. Best of luck!

John_Wetter

@Banks,
I just looked at it as standard troubleshooting... Start with what you know, then go to what you don't know.

You know that the update is causing the computers to become unusable... So stop the update so you can give yourself some time to explore the unknown... The plist or configuration issue that is causing the 10.9.5 update to blow up the computer. That obviously does need to be fixed, but in the meantime, it's nice to not have a slug of unusable computers so you have some time to investigate the root cause.

The big fix for update management will be to get a SUS in place to be able to control version releases, but the analogy of it's hard to plant trees in the middle of a forest fire seems to fit this case.

Banks
Contributor

So I can take the 'not respectful' and supposedly masterful labels ;) I know I overdid the all-caps, sorry for yelling.
Controlling updates with a SUS is better than blocking updates. Definitively. No hemming and hawing, but no apologies for asking for the actual issue to be addressed. Refining the possible management of settings, fixing the actual problem rather than reflexively reimaging, is another thing that could use reiterating. I totally respect folks directly answering a question when asked(something my significant other gets peeved about) you just all know the experience of having the thing you SHOULD be fixing appear later than we'd like, when we could've been both effective and appropriate earlier on. Especially for beginners, yes, first you have to learn the 'how' of 'fixing', but as soon as possible you need to learn WHY.
Allister

beneb
New Contributor III

Hi:

Hopefully this will be helpful.

On a test machine you can run

sudo softwareupdate --list

to get a text list of the available software. On my 10.9.3 machine this was the result:

Software Update Tool Copyright 2002-2012 Apple Inc. Finding available software Software Update found the following new or updated software: OSXUpdCombo10.9.5-10.9.5 OS X Update Combined (10.9.5), 959090K [recommended] [restart] iBooksDelta-1.0.1 iBooks Update (1.0.1), 14334K [recommended] JavaForOSX-1.0 Java for OS X 2013-005 (1.0), 65167K [recommended] iTunesX-11.4 iTunes (11.4), 234941K [recommended]

You can then choose to ignore software updates based on the list like this ```
sudo softwareupdate --ignore OSXUpdCombo10.9.5

Now when you run ```
sudo softwareupdate --list

the update will no longer be available. To get the update to show as available again you will need to do the following command ```
sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored
```

So in theory, in your environment, you could "block" the 10.9.5 update be using the "ignore" flag in the built-in command line softwareupdate tool.

Caveats:

• it's possible if the machines are 10.9.4, the update name may not be a combo update and may be different? Not sure but something to check
• the naming of the updates can be a little strange, for example, the "list" command gives us "OSXUpdCombo10.9.5-10.9.5", but if we ignore with that exact verbiage, the update is not ignored. From the list output I deduced that the ignored flag was probably looking for "OSXUpdCombo10.9.5" and indeed that ignored the update.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@Banks (AKA @Sacrilicious on Twitter) posted:

Pardon, but may I respectfully ask why we're trying to solve the wrong problem?...[snip]...Sorry to sound harsh, hope this sounds reasonable.

Not sure how the JAMF community could think you're being disrespectful towards them?

Twitter...

external image link

IRC...

external image link

--
https://donmontalvo.com

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

We temporarily used the ignore method @bbyleen mentioned to ignore the 10.9.3 update because it was released at a time when we had other critical issues happening, and our help desk was overwhelmed with calls. Because this update was causing the "black screen with cursor on boot" issue for many users, we wanted to limit the number of users impacted because there was no way they were going to get it resolved quickly.

There are completely legit reasons you may want to block certain updates temporarily.

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

The "classical"/recommended/supported method to control which Apple updates your clients are offered is to run your own Apple Software Update server, either Apple's via OS X Server, or Reposado, or JAMF's NetSUS appliance (which contains Reposado).

This allows you to filter certain updates from being offered to your managed clients. More importantly and usefully, with Reposado and NetSUS you can release updates first to a group of testing users/machines, and later make those same updates available to your fleet in general. This allows you to test updates (or at least limit the damage/find issues) before they affect all of your machines.

If you are also concerned about users manually downloading the updates directly from support.apple.com/downloads and manually installing them, I'd recommend one of two approaches: 1) communication, and/or 2) Don't give those users admin rights.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@gregneagle][/url I think the challenge in some environments, at least some I've seen, is the teams responsible for managing the Macs are unable/unwilling to take away admin rights. So users can/do download updates. But you nailed it, if you can control (vet) the updates, the problem goes away.

[EDIT: Not the OP's problem, obviously]

--

ahopkins
New Contributor II

Lot's of good post! I was training today and didn't check this feed:

We do not have an SUS.. I didn't SSH in, can I do that with ARD?
Apple's directions:

on power up hold down "Command" & "S"
After the text stops, write the following:

mount -uw /
cd /Library/Preferences
mv com.apple.loginwindow.plist com.apple.loginwindow.plist.old
reboot

Today I restricted the Installer.app, no more reports of this. I haven't addresses the issue today, no time.

Thanks for all the great responses!

mm2270

Well, it doesn't completely control the problem @donmontalvo. The OS X updates (and anything else really) are readily available for anyone with a browser to download. If they have admin rights, its an easy bypass to get and install the update. Blocking it in SUS helps, but isn't a guaranteed way to stop it. And yes, taking away admin rights rarely turns out to be that great of a solution in most cases. In some cases, its simply not even an option.

I would however, second the notion that communication is critical. If we run across an update that we are seeing or suspect issues with, in addition to not enabling it in SUS, we also issue an official "IT" statement on a community board read by lots of clients that we are asking users not to install the update until we've had a chance to properly vet it and approve it. Not every environment has this mechanism of disseminating a notice to everyone, but if not, it would be a good idea to push for that.
To that end, the OP should really be getting a notice out to his students that installing the update at this time might end up causing their Mac not to boot properly. I don't know many people that intentionally want to cause a problem for their Mac unless they are gluttons for punishment.

Then again I don't work in a school.... :)

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@mm2270 Point taken, that's sort of what I meant to imply...did a lousy job. :)

Well, it doesn't completely control the problem @donmontalvo.
  1. Admin rights = all bets are off
  2. SUS = vet updates

#1 is a must, or #2 is moot.

I'll get my act together when I down that first JNUC 2014 beer. :D

Don

--

jimlee
New Contributor III

So wise allister.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Didn't @Banks present at a NYC JAMF User Conference meeting a few weeks ago?

http://osx.michaellynn.org/freenode-osx-server/freenode-osx-server_2014-10-03.html

external image link

--

John_Wetter

@ahopkins - If they're just having you move the loginwindow.plist somewhere, basically just setting it aside, something that's being applied to it must just be either damaging it or adding something that is confusing the installer. Perhaps just doing that en masse would make sense if it can be tested and verified to be the issue. The big thing would be thoroughly testing it to understand what the issue is with the file that's making the login process throw fits. One of the most productive presentations I ever saw at WWDC was titled "From power-on to login". It talked about all of the processes that start, the order, and the rights each had. That's important in the sandboxed world of OS X now.

I imagine that your users have admin rights because you want them to be able to maintain their own computers? Otherwise, it's really just users being users and exercising their 'rights' in a programatic and human sense.

It's more of a culture. In our environment, we have about 3000 iOS devices and we sent an email asking people to not update to iOS 8 right away. We didn't actively block it but instead gave people information. We had about 70 or so people update and a few had issues. Culture is hard to change though and 25 posts on a JAMFNation thread won't help or fix that. For us the culture has been a 6 to 8 year process that has been painful at times but has netted us awesome results. Best of luck to you and we're here to help! I appreciate that this group endeavors to answer the 'real' question and not just the 'asked' question... That makes all of us stronger and better mac admins.

ahopkins
New Contributor II

We have about 1000 iPads K-8, I was working with a kindergarten class, I turned to see a little one hit the iOS update before I could stop her... Out done by a 5 year old...

Our Macs are in the high school,, and today the update wasn't an issue, will address this again on Monday.

bentoms

@ahopkins, if your users are admins & you have no SUS.. You'll be playing whack-a-mole until you resolve the root cause issue. (Which is what @Banks was getting at).

You might be able to do the com.apple.loginwindow copy as a policy triggered once per Mac running 10.9.5 at startup.

Now as to the issue itself, can you post a copy of your com.apple.loginwindow.plist from a 10.9.4 mac. Also from a 10.9.5 Mac that has had the "fix" applied.

ahopkins
New Contributor II

Students are not users, but they can install the software update. We tested this on afew student computers... We click on the update, it asks for Apple ID, we hit. Cancel it updates.. Just for the system updates, not apps.. Strange but true..

bentoms

@ahopkins, ugh. This thread has got convoluted along the way.

So, if the students are not admins.. Then no need to worry about them downloading updates from Apples support site.

Do you allow students to install their own apps via the App Store?

If not, you can restrict the App Store & stop Software Update from checking.

That command is listed here: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/softwareupdate....

It's obviously not a good idea to not install updates, but may be a temp measure until you find out what's causing the issue for you.

ahopkins
New Contributor II

Yes, I haven't had a thread expand like this.

So, students are not admins. For app updates, I'm doing the update and installing via policy, self service.

This 10.9.5 update we found students can click update, and it lets them update it, no admin password needed. Maybe I missed a step in the set up when I imaged, don't know. Just like our iPads, students can hit the update gear and the iPad updates, doesn't look that can be blocked.

bentoms

@ahopkins][/url, as I asked before. Do your students need access to the App Store?

ahopkins
New Contributor II

No, not at this time.

bentoms

@ahopkins, then why not block the App Store?

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@ahopkins and @bentoms - we block the app store here for this reason. You no longer need admin rights to do software updates. Any apps or software updates our students need, we push.

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

Your 10.9.5 Black screen... are you enforcing a policy banner on your laptops? Are the machines bound to a directory server? I actually had this issue prior to 10.9.5, and discovered there was an issue with the Policy Banner and the computers running OS Updates through Power Nap.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

So I'm guessing that outsourcing to a consulting firm to come in and resolve this issue is out of the question?
This sounds like it is probably not a great experience for the end users or teachers/leadership at the moment. If it was me, I'd probably spend the bucks to get it fixed as soon as possible. Perhaps learn about the cause and fix after when users are not being impacted. You could also leverage this problem as a reason for your employer to spend money on your PD and perhaps have you attended some Apple/Jamf training courses.

Think you're being a bit harsh Don cross posting twitter and IRC posts.....Everyone needs to vent. Have you never got off the phone to someone after being polite to them and then said wow what a d*ckhead? Stones and glasshouses and all that yada yada yada