Blocking Dev build(s) of 10.11

robby_barnes
New Contributor III

Hey guys,

If I want to block dev builds of 10.11, is the best way to still restrict the developer beta installer app as a restricted app, or does anyone have any better ideas?

Apple's site has this for blocking betas, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203018 but I've honestly had mixed luck on it actually working, and the article is specifically talking about Yosemite beta's, which I'm not sure if it will apply or not.

9 REPLIES 9

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

This may still work

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate AllowPreReleaseInstallation -bool false

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Should also work: create a restricted software record with "Install OS X*" and uncheck "Restrict exact process name". This will block all OS X installers, beta and current one's.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

This is now built into Config Profiles that you can deploy from the JSS, but its tied in with the Software Update payload, so it would mean setting a SUS for your Macs and scoping appropriately. Make sure to uncheck the "Allow installation of OS X beta releases" box as seen below.

4a9a85a8bd2f497681f19b56bf98806e

If doing this with a Config Profile isn't an option, you'll need to look at creating a specific profile with this setting. This can be done by making a plist with the one setting as @tkimpton posted above and converting it to a mobileconfig profile using mcxToProfile.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

You can also upload this config profile and scope it to your users:
Prevent OS X Beta installations

Confirmed it works for EC.

kstrick
Contributor III

also, it does look like it uses "InstallAssistant" as the unix executable when you run the Installer app,
so you could also block that process name.... (it would also block Yosemite Installs)

robby_barnes
New Contributor III

So far I've had good luck with just adding Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta.app to restricted applications. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will be trying several of these if I run in to any problems.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Mike great idea with the config profile :)

Gocobachi
New Contributor III

For me, just defining the Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta.app process name worked for me. However, if I renamed the file to let's say, Install OS X 10.11 Developer BetaTest.app then it does not stop the execution or process. There has to be another way to specifically restrict the installation of any software - kinda like applying non-admin rights I guess... That's never going to fly though on our users computers...

marcusransom
New Contributor

I have scoped the config profile as per the Apple kbase article and that works fine to restrict the installer in the Mac App Store. I decided to add Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta.app to restricted software but that doesn't seem to be working. once I clicked through the installer however, I came across this when I got to selecting the drive. (note the wrong description of the OS)10f24435462741ed880273cf5d3b32f4