Imaging 10.10.3 with caper 9.65

swright_mm
New Contributor III

I upgraded the image from 10.10.2 to 10.10.3 on the casper admin. I am using casper suite 9.65 but every since the update the imaging process freezes. Last time this happened I was on casper suite 9.62 and had to update it to 9.65 and re-create the netboot. Do I have to have the next version of Casper to use 10.10.3?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

swright_mm
New Contributor III

I figured out the problem, when I updated the image it pushed the prioirty back to 10 and the recovery partition to 1, which caused the imaging process to freeze after doing the recovery partition first.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

yellow
Contributor

Freezes where?
At the Adobe Temporary Installer / "Casper is installing software in the background" splash screen?

swright_mm
New Contributor III

Using the Casper imaging app, when installing the apps the bar is frozen at blue instead of showing the progress of the imaging process.

yellow
Contributor

Hmm... I only recently went from 9.65 to 9.72.. after the release of 10.10.3 and I hadn't experienced this issue. However, does this freeze IMMEDIATELY after you click the "Image" button?

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I'm using 9.65 and have no issues with 10.10.3 for whatever that's worth. I'm using an old Netboot I created with 10.9 - waiting to recreate when we order new hardware.

yellow
Contributor
However, does this freeze IMMEDIATELY after you click the "Image" button?

If this is what you see... do you have a # (hash) in your password.. or the password of the account you're using to login to Casper Admin and image? If so, this was corrected when I moved to 9.72... or you can change the password. Whichever is less painful.

elsmith
Contributor II

One of our technicians says he clicks on the "Image" button and it doesn't do anything at all. He didn't indicate that it was freezing up, really, but he did leave one build overnight and got locked out of his domain account, indicating to me that it's trying to authenticate but just not doing it.

His password has a + (plus sign) in it, but no # (pound/hash). We are also on 9.65 and using a 10.10.3 Image.

I just wanted to mention it in case anyone else sees this without a # (pound/hash) in the password. We're going to upgrade this week, and I will post back if this fixes it for him.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I've had a tech with a % in his password run into this issue. We are upgrading to 9.72 this weekend and will see if that solves it.

swright_mm
New Contributor III

I figured out the problem, when I updated the image it pushed the prioirty back to 10 and the recovery partition to 1, which caused the imaging process to freeze after doing the recovery partition first.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Do yourselves a favor - rid your JSS passwords of any special characters now.
Life is much better since that change. Also had to remove DNS names on DP's and use IP addresses.

kstrick
Contributor III

Issue is not solved in 9.72. Hopefully in 9.73?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@swright.mm Can I ask why you're deploying a separate recovery partition?

@kstrick there are a few issues in this thread. Which is not solved?

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@bentoms I think a lot of people (including myself) are not aware that composer now captures all partitions in an image including the recovery one. I found this out the hard way while using the older way of capturing the recovery HD (per the article from Jamf) didn't really work well on the new version of casper imaging. It kept causing the machine to reboot to a folder/? (was not blessing the drive correctly). Once I upgraded my images with the recovery drive built in using the new composer it solved this behavior.

I guess I just missed this in the release notes.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@gshackney just to add, AutoDMG OS.dmg's also include the recovery partition.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Ah, for the most part I try to use the tools that Jamf made first. Then when I have issues I can call my rep and ask why such and such feature isn't working and then have them fix it. Im sure I could save a ton of time if I just mixed my workflow and used more of the forum recommended solutions. It always comes back to if they charge this much for their software and services...then it should work lol. I'm sure that is not dissimilar for a lot of companies.

Maybe this summer I'll have a look at AutoDMG.
But I digress.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

andyinindy
Contributor II

@elsmith

We are seeing similar issues with 9.65 imaging. Did the upgrade to 9.72 help?

Thanks,

--Andy

elsmith
Contributor II

@andyinindy - I am, unfortunately, still waiting to hear back from the tech that was having the issue. I will let you know ASAP!

ghsimon
New Contributor III

I just heard from the tech that @elsmith was waiting to hear back from. After the upgrade he was still not able to image a machine. Still had the same problem. I asked him to change his password to one that didn't have either a # or a + character in it and then he was able to image a machine. It seems that both of these special characters in the password cause it to freeze when pushing the image button.

andyinindy
Contributor II

@ghsimon, we had the same result; imaging still locked up for our tech after the 9.72 upgrade. She changed her password, and it resolved the issue.

Time to file a defect...

maulfairs
New Contributor

I'm having issues with "Distribution Point not mounting". Netboot to Casper Imaging is successful, finds the desired configuration and shows Distribution Point. Casper Imaging is at 9.65 and we have only one Share. What could we be missing in JSS settings?
~sky

andyinindy
Contributor II

Has anyone filed a defect for this issue? We are still experiencing it in 9.72. I'd be happy to file it if nobody else has...