Bluetooth PAN interrupts image process

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Tried to image a machine a machine (10.10.x, Casper 9.8) and when the machine reboots and goes into the "The imaging process is finishing installing software" screen, it sits there for a bit, and then that screen clears away and a popup window opens "A new network interface has been detected - The "Bluetooth PAN" network interface has not been setup yet....and it breaks out of the imaging process. Didn't have that problem yesterday when I was working on this, but today after updating to 9.8 I am.

6c76aac37dca41adb51be23a7b5795c1

14 REPLIES 14

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I am starting to see this too myself.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Sorry, just to clarify: I am seeing this myself but on 10.10.5 with Casper 9.73. I'm seeing this on two MacBook Pros (2012 and 2013). Both having TB-Ethernet adapters.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

okedoke.
i'm trying a command from here

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I'm already doing that myself. But this is a false alarm. I thought that screen was holding up the network but it turned out to be something else entirely causing it. I do see that pop-up though, but it's not causing problems here.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

what was the problem you're seeing? maybe I'm chasing the wrong thing.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Well the first boot process I use is very different from what others are using. I rely on a script first boot script that downloads software updates, some other custom settings are setting for system preferences, recon and user assignment info is uploaded to the JSS and then proceeds to run jamf policy to run all the policies relevant to the computer. The problem I ran into was that it was taking forever to start running jamf policy. Well, I looked at the logs I generate and it was taking a long time to download the latest Apple updates. It must be either our connection or something happening on Apple's end when it comes to these particular updates. Anyways, that's what I said this is a false alarm.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

i see. downloading stuff from the MAS is taking forever today. probably under load from IOS updates.

thank you for the tip though, I will try to look for that.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

... I updated my casper imaging to 9.8 (from 9.73) and it seemed to go through now. I will have to do more testing though.

MadPossum
New Contributor III

I'm seeing the same thing here. 9.81 Imaging with a fairly recent 10.10.5 image. I suspect that the image I'm using may need to be updated for use on this hardware. I'll test and get back to you.

rickwhois
Contributor

I just started seeing this error from the original posting. Imaging version 9.98 & 10.12.4 but works fine with 10.12.3. It seems like when the bluetooth detection pops up, the imaging full screen goes away but the rest of the imaging process continues on. The machine auto reboots once the apps from my imaging process finish installing. Was there another work around for this? I wonder if anyone else has tried the process out since 10.12.4 has been released.

alexm
New Contributor

I am seeing this too.
Imaging does complete.

Using 9.98 (cloud) & 10.12.4 image.

rickwhois
Contributor

has anyone found a solution to this?

geoffrepoli
Contributor

@rickwhois

though I haven't had the issue since a much older version of casper imaging, I believe I made a package that contained this as a postinstall script, and had it run pretty early in the workflow.

#!/bin/bash
/usr/sbin/networksetup -createlocation Default populate
/usr/sbin/networksetup -switchtolocation Default
/usr/sbin/networksetup -deletelocation Automatic

rickwhois
Contributor

thanks @grepoli I'll consider adding this as well. For the meantime, I added a pkg with a 1 priority in the workflow that invokes the jamfhelper in a postflight script as described here

#!/bin/sh
## postflight
##
## Not supported for flat packages.

pathToScript=$0
pathToPackage=$1
targetLocation=$2
targetVolume=$3

## Lock down the login window 
/usr/sbin/jamf launchJAMFHelper -path '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app'