Bragging rights, Netboot image size

charliwest
Contributor II

So how small have you managed to get your netboot.dmg? (and still have it working)

12 REPLIES 12

nessts
Valued Contributor II

why is a small NBI so important? I like to embed a 50GB file in my NBI so i can make room to test install things like adobe creative suite

franton
Valued Contributor III

My record is 2.8 - 3 Gb.

I'm not sure why the heck you'd want a 50Gb file in your NBI however. I have rsync the net boot nbi around several servers and that would just chew our LAN.

c0n0r
Contributor

I think it all comes down to what your organization needs. @nessts needs Adobe Creative Suite, mine needs Office + McAfee + a dozen other apps. Such configs are never going to be tiny, no matter the skills of the engineer building the image.

mojo21221
Contributor II

Got mine down to 2.65 GB. The main use is solely Casper Imaging and Disk Utility...

charles_hitch
Contributor II

Ok I am curious for those that have got the NBI under 5GB what OS X version you are using. My usage, like @mojo21221 is Casper Imaging and Disk Utility. I am struggling getting Mavericks below 7.3GB.

charliwest
Contributor II

My most recent was a 10.8.5 and is 3.44GB, all I use is Casper Imaging and Disk Utility, although since then have found a few other things I can get rid of I think to shrink it down further (My mavericks one should be smaller but keep getting an error 2 with System Imagine Utility which I can't figure out) what @mojo21221 showed here https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8832 is really great I think

nigelg
Contributor

Currently got a 4.78GB compressed Mavericks image. The actual size is 15GB (mostly free space). Trying to get rid of the "run out of space" error i was experiencing.

Used the script from https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4751

and resized the netboot.dmg with hdiutil resize -size 15g /path/to/dmg before compressing it again in Disk Utility.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi All,

Have you seen a real-world difference when shrinking a NetBoot?

FWIW, I believe the NetBoot process only loads those parts of the image that are needed..

franton
Valued Contributor III

@bentoms Nope. But I don't shrink them for that reason. I have a single image that's synced out to eight different servers so speeding up network sync speeds was my priority.

And you're right about it only loading what it needs btw.

bentoms

@franton, thanks. I have that requirement too.

charles_hitch
Contributor II

@bentoms, the only reason we shrink the netboot image is to get it to fit on an 8GB USB drive and be able to boot off that. We have a significant number of locations to support across the US and just can't support a NetBoot server per. So we just take the NetBoot.dmg that is created in the nbi, tweak it a little, and restore to USB. Voila bootable USB that is the exact same as our NetBoot environment. Works great for us.

bentoms

@charles.hitch thanks for the reply.

I added the option to create a read only dmg for restoring to a USB drive in AutoCasperNBI. (That app was what sparked me asking here).

Anyways, please try it if you get the time.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11356