Cached Packages

jrippy
Contributor II

How does this attribute work? I know how it should work in my mind but I can't seem to make it work on my install.
So I have a policy set to cache package ABC123.dmg
Next, I have a Smart Group set up with the Cached Packages policy set to has ABC123.dmg
I don't get any results. I've tried many different combinations with and without .dmg, uppercase, lowercase, etc. I've made sure its not a site issue.
I have checked to make sure the package (dmg) is actually cached on the target machine specified by the policy.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to use this feature?

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The Smart Group will only populate once the caching policy has run at least once successfully AND the Mac it ran on submitted updated inventory. That last part about updated inventory is important, as the criteria is using information from the database, so if it doesn't see it cached on at least one system from the database, you won't get results.

Does that sound like a possible reason why you aren't getting results? If you're certain the Mac in question has that item in its cached package list and you still don't see SG results, then post back and we'll see what else may be wrong with the setup.

Edit: Tip - If the package is listed as cached on the system in the db, you should be able to select the package name by clicking the ellipses button next to the field (…) and then pick from the list. FWIW, that's always how I choose the package in the scenario, rather than entering it in manually. It ensures that you're using the criteria string the JSS expects and is looking for.

jrippy
Contributor II

Unfortunately no that is not the case. The policy does include an inventory update. On top of that, I've gone to the machine and manually run jamf recon. :-(
As for choosing the name, I get the following when I click the ellipses: "No choices are available for this criteria".

mm2270

Hmm, odd. Something sounds wrong. So, in the Mac's record in the JSS under the Package Receipts section, do you see the package name there? It should get listed under the "Cached Packages" area. I would expect it not to show up there in the Mac record if you aren't able to choose it from the Cache Packages list in the Smart Group.

If so, it sounds like somehow the db isn't being updated with the information, or the recon isn't picking up the cached package for whatever reason.

Can you do this on the Mac, in case you haven't already?

sudo ls -l /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/

Let's see if you see anything in there?

Also, you don't happen to have a policy that runs to periodically clean out that directory do you? We have something like that and can cause any SGs using cached package criteria to get fouled up.

jrippy
Contributor II

I'm a full admin and I don't see a package receipts section in the computer record in the JSS. I've seen other people talk about that but I simply don't see it.
I have verified that package is there in the Waiting Room.

jrippy
Contributor II

I just found an option in management settings where "Collect Package Receipts" was unchecked!
Let's see if that fixes it.

jrippy
Contributor II

Yep. That fixed it. Such a simple thing.
Thanks!

mm2270

Ah, glad you got that worked out. Didn't even think to ask you to check that. Ours has been enabled for so long I forgot it was even an option to not collect those!