Calendar Payload in OS X User Level Configuration Profile

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to send out a Calendar Payload for Users in OS X (iOS works easy).
My Users are LDAP based in the JSS. When I create a Config Profile with a mail payload, everything works as expected using the $USERNAME variable.
But when I create a configuration Profile with a Calendar Payload, installation fails.
It fails silently when set to automatically install and with an error message when available in Self Service: "There was a problem installing profilename - Contact your Administrator".
In Console on OS X I can see errors thrown by the mdmclient.

I initially had planned to use $USERNAME for the CalDAVUsername and leave the Password field blank (so the user should enter it manually). If I install this via self service I get the error described above, with console telling about wrong credentials.

If I fill the Username/Password fields with credentials of a valid user, everything works.
Just not using a $USERNAME or blank User field.

What am I missing?

7 REPLIES 7

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I haven't tried this in Casper (I'm normally using Exchange) but I remember profile manager using % signs for variables, something like %short_name%. Failing that you could try $USER or other variations. Sorry its not a definitive answer but worth a try!

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

In Casper it is definitely $USERNAME or $FULLNAME - that is what is in the Admin Guide PDF and which works for me in an Email (IMAP/SMTP) payload.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Ok, worth a shot! It sounds like a possible bug. I'll give it a test on my JSS in a few hours.

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

What I found out in the meantime:
When Using $USERNAME in a Configuration Profile for OS X on User Level, Casper does NOT use its info from LDAP, but $USERNAME will be replaced on the client during install time with the Accountname of the current user.

In my case the LDAP lookup for the user in Casper gives "as" as the User name. (Same does dscl on the OD master).
Then I use $USERNAME in a OS X config profile for Self-Service. My local account on my MBP is "andi" and the user is MDM enabled for Casper. The Profile install fails, as already said in the original post. During install, I can see the profile in System Report (System Profiler). There the Username is "andi" and not "as" as it should be (or at least I suppose as it should be).

It seems like Casper is not doing Variable substitution as expected, but passing it to OS X unchanged. OR OS X is intercepting the profile and changing the username in the profile to the local account username.

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

And just for added confusion:
In a VPN payload, $USERNAME is correctly substituted with the value from LDAP (not the local account Username).

emilh
New Contributor III

Made any progress with this?

I can't get the variables to work with the Mail and Calendar profiles either. VPN works fine.
Caspers computer records list the computers and users as MDM capable.

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

No progress so far. I heard that this is the way it is intended to be. Yet that seems to be a bad thing.