Camtasia License Not Applying after Composer DMG Capture Install

spreston
New Contributor III

Hi All -

We just received a license for Camtasia 2019 for Mac, and in past years, I would run the installer through Composer, apply the license key, and then take the compare snapshot, export it as a DMG to Jamf Admin, and everything would work fine.

Today I went to test the deployment and it looks like the install succeeds, but does not apply the license key, which I believe is hidden in a separate file. I have FUT and FEU selected since Camtasia usually drops files in User Folders such as Templates and Sample Projects, which appeared to work.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to work or better ways we could handle the install without giving out our license key?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @spreston I have been successfully deploying Camtasia 2019 via self service and attached, you can see where I place the two key pieces. One in the /Library/Preferences folder, the other in the /Users/Shared/Techsmith folder. Perhaps you could give it a try. I don't use FUT or FEU much any more.e378585b5aeb4ce395a17b9119571ff7

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hello @spreston I have been successfully deploying Camtasia 2019 via self service and attached, you can see where I place the two key pieces. One in the /Library/Preferences folder, the other in the /Users/Shared/Techsmith folder. Perhaps you could give it a try. I don't use FUT or FEU much any more.e378585b5aeb4ce395a17b9119571ff7

spreston
New Contributor III

Thank you @mconners, it was the Registration Key in the Users --> Shared folder that was missing that I think was causing all the trouble.

sendhil103
New Contributor

What does the folder "/Library/Application Support/TechSmith/Camtasia 2019" and "/Library/Preferences/com.techsmith.camtasia2019.plist" contains, is it something that comes by default and needs to be deployed for all users?
I am just trying to pkg it for the first time. I just wanted to know do we need to use the composer snapshot to capture all of the files ? or just package the "/Applications/Camtasia.app" and its license key "/Users/Shared/TechSmith/Camtasia/Camtasia Registration Key Unified License" should be fine?
2347954303944c74beea15f18fff12b6

a_simmons
Contributor II

Has anybody had any luck applying the volume license for Camtasia 2020? I've followed their Enterprise Install process but it still prompts for a license

https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/203727638-Camtasia-Mac-Enterprise-Install-Guidelines

chrisB
Contributor II

Camtasia 2020 volume license

Create a text file named "LicenseKey" with only the serial number in it and deploy it in the following directory:

445db637ec044cb6b74461b0dad21753

a_simmons
Contributor II

@chrisB I have but it doesn't seem to detect it. Still prompts me to enter a Software Key, The license key works, I've tried typing it in manually and it gets accepted.

7ce5e0cc27da49cab776e1cb03e2934d

70b8c192fbad44aa94a41223d9160e69

chrisB
Contributor II

The file and folder structure need to have read permissions for all users - here it works flawlessly with Camtasia 2020.

chrisB
Contributor II

Ooops - I forgot something: The supporter at TechSmitch already gave me access to version 2020.0.2 - and only with this version you can use the hint(s) above.

Get version 2020.0.2 and it will work:

https://www.techsmith.com/download/camtasia/

GregE
Contributor

@a.simmons Did that end up working for you? We're having the same trouble.
Techsmith and all enclosed folders have read permission for everyone but it doesn't appear that Techsmith -> Camtasia -> LicenseKey.txt actually gets read. Running the app (2020.0.2) launches the serial number request and a license folder is created in Techsmith -> Camtasia with 4 files.

chrisB
Contributor II

@GregE: The file should be named "LicenseKey" (not "LicenseKey.txt")!

GregE
Contributor

Good pickup!
Still not having any success though. As you said it works fine when I copy/paste it in so I know the serial number is fine, and I've checked the file for spaces so it's not that.

e1a84f2475db4275bd9f9cc85f4aa5de

chrisB
Contributor II

@GregE: It seems like TechSmith support gave me access to an alternative version 2020.0.2 (see the number of bytes in my screenshot of version 2020.0.2).

1b3da57e73084363bc2be0f2b1894e05

Now version 2020.0.3 is officially available and should (also) work with the license deployment method mentioned above.

TechSmith also updated their "Enterprise Install Guidelines" for macOS.

Contact TechSmith support if your deploying issues persist.

john-hsu
New Contributor III

I use a really easy workflow for handling my Camtasia deployments. Techsmith updates both Camtasia and Snagit on a regular basis. I have AutoPKG download the package installers and add them to Jamf. I have a separate PKG that contains the Camtasia or Snagit Licenses that I created using Composer. Any time that a new version comes out, I switch out the Camtasia or Snagit PKGs in their respective policies. Never had an issue with this workflow.

chrisB
Contributor II

@john-hsu: Your answer is completely useless - no one has issues packaging SnagIt or Camtasia which is a no-brainer.
We're talking about how to package the license info!

GregE
Contributor

Thanks for helping ChrisB, no luck with 2020.0.3 either so I'm getting on to Techsmith for some assistance.

john-hsu
New Contributor III

@GregE I was able to get Camtasia 2020 licensed and working without any issues. I missed the part where TechSmith changed how the license was read in Camtasia 2020 using the LicenseKey file in /Users/Shared/TechSmith/Camtasia. In 2019 and below, a file named "Camtasia Registration Key Unified License" was present. I still stand by my original post in which I keep the Camtasia license package separate from the Camtasia installer package.

I created my LicenseKey file by dropping to the Terminal prompt and navigating to /Users/Shared/TechSmith/Camtasia. I created my LicenseKey file in pico text editor and then saved it. I opened up Composer and dragged my LicenseKey file into the Composer's left hand window. I then made sure that the owner of the LicenseKey file is set to root - this is very important since the user root's userid is always 0 (it showed my username as the owner). Then I set the package name on the left side of the Composer window. Here is what my Composer window looked like before building my license package:

24faa851a68b40429bde2ac2ccf1656e

Once the Camtasia license package was created, I uploaded it to my Jamf server. Here is what my policy looks like when deploying Camtasia 2020:

202b233e00f04273812a2b93a925bb23

Go ahead and give this method a shot. I have a suspicion that you might be running into an ownership problem with the LicenseKey file, just make sure the ownership is set to user root. I have tested this on both macOS 10.14.6 and 10.15.5. Let me know how this turns out!

@chrisB I hope this more detailed explanation helps you out as well, buddy!

Cheers,
John

chrisB
Contributor II

@john-hsu: Thanks for your explanations.
It wasn't me having issues with the new license deployment; I already posted the solution. ;-)

GregE
Contributor

Sorted - thanks John! I already had root/wheel set, but did have execute permissions in Composer which I changed to mimick yours above.
Either modifying those perms had the desired effect, or changing the output from .dmg to .pkg and deploying the license separately to the main application but within the same policy fixed the problem we were having.
Cheers!