Can not install PKG that are converted from DMG using composer

zlatko
New Contributor II

The TItle says almost all of it.

Hello people,

After I converted the Slack application, which does not offer native PKG format, using composer, I get the following error:

installer: The installation failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.

This Policy works fine on my PC but does not work on colleague's. I will take a look at more details tomorrow from /var/log/install.log, and will post them here. We both use M1 chip, but mine is MacBook Pro, and she has MacBook Air. Not sure if this makes any difference. The latest OS and updates are applied.
Anyway, if anyone has any idea in the meanwhile why this does not work, I would appreciate the help, because I have lost 2 days trying to make this work. :)

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

are you falling into the same as here

efil4xiN
Contributor II

in some cases quicker to install quickpkg.Converts DMG,app,zip,xip to a manageble pkg

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

You should look into using the Installomator script. https://github.com/Installomator/Installomator

It can install many applications so you don't have to worry about packaging.

zlatko
New Contributor II

Thanks for the answers!
@DBrowning , yes. Exactly the same. But I could not change Slack into Applications in the hierarchy of Composer. I could not change the order. Still did not solve this issue with composer, and I searched a lot... Noone provided a solution, so I gave up.
I succeeded with "Mac Apps", Jamf App Catalog (preview) - There are some applications that we need. (Slack, Chrome, MS VSC). 
But, due to a fact that there are a small number of applications, I am further testing Installomator and seeing how it works.
Thanks again for your valuable answers.

jpeters21
Contributor II

are you using the dmg as the source? If so I never tried that way ... I a) install the app then dragging the app from applications to composer (edit the permissions for root/wheel) or b) if it has external dependencies like a plist my package is actually putting said installer in a temp location, then add a "post install" script to run the installer from terminal (again checking permissions) . Slack, Chrome and visual studio code all being ones I have packaged and did not have any issue. 

example of how it should look 

jpeters21_1-1651257552174.png

virtasupport
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue with a comparison compose for a PKG. Unfortunately, we have to create because the developer does not create a package. Currently running macOS 13.6 using the latest Composer 

Version 11.0.1