Can't delete SMTP Server settings in JSS

spalmer
Contributor III

I have a Casper 9.31 test server that I imported a copy of our production database into and now I want to remove the SMTP server settings so that I don't get unnecessary emails from the test server.

However, I cannot find a way to do this. There is no Delete button, and emptying the "Server and Port" and "Sender Email Address" fields only result in red arrows indicating errors and not allowing me to Save with empty fields.

I can work around this by just putting in a bogus email server address, but this will just add more error messages in the log file which I am trying to avoid as I troubleshoot some other issues with our production database.

Before I report this as a bug I just wanted to ask if I am missing something. Is there somewhere else I need to go to disable this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@spalmer][/url @thoule][/url

I could have sworn I’d opened a defect for that behavior ages ago, but I can’t find it! It’s possible I just opened it in my head and never actually opened it in reality. :)

At any rate, you’re not missing anything, we really don’t have a way in the webapp to be able to delete/blank out the settings to turn it off if we decide not to use it. If there is another SMTP server we want to use, we can just change the settings, however, if we don't want to use one at all, it doesn't appear that there's an easy way in the webapp to knock it out of there.

We can, however, go into MySQL and truncate the table housing the information.

As always, make a backup before truncating anything as there is no way to get the information back (save for re-keying or restoring from backup) after a truncate command is run.

Once you have that, log in to MySQL at the command line. Once in MySQL run the following commands:

use jamfsoftware;
truncate smtp_server; (if you want to be super literal with your MySQL commands, truncate table smtp_server; also works)

It will say 0 rows affected, don’t worry about that, they’ve been affected.

I usually restart MySQL and Tomcat after doing a truncate on anything, but it’s not strictly necessary; if you refresh the SMTP server page in the JSS you’ll see everything has been blanked out.

If you have questions on that procedure or would feel more comfortable with someone from JAMF on the line with you, please feel free to give us a call or reach out to your Technical Account Manager by sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com or using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Edit: I went ahead and created a defect for this. D-007183 is the # for reference.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

thoule
Valued Contributor II

I'm seeing the same thing on my test server. Doesn't look like you're missing anything.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@spalmer][/url @thoule][/url

I could have sworn I’d opened a defect for that behavior ages ago, but I can’t find it! It’s possible I just opened it in my head and never actually opened it in reality. :)

At any rate, you’re not missing anything, we really don’t have a way in the webapp to be able to delete/blank out the settings to turn it off if we decide not to use it. If there is another SMTP server we want to use, we can just change the settings, however, if we don't want to use one at all, it doesn't appear that there's an easy way in the webapp to knock it out of there.

We can, however, go into MySQL and truncate the table housing the information.

As always, make a backup before truncating anything as there is no way to get the information back (save for re-keying or restoring from backup) after a truncate command is run.

Once you have that, log in to MySQL at the command line. Once in MySQL run the following commands:

use jamfsoftware;
truncate smtp_server; (if you want to be super literal with your MySQL commands, truncate table smtp_server; also works)

It will say 0 rows affected, don’t worry about that, they’ve been affected.

I usually restart MySQL and Tomcat after doing a truncate on anything, but it’s not strictly necessary; if you refresh the SMTP server page in the JSS you’ll see everything has been blanked out.

If you have questions on that procedure or would feel more comfortable with someone from JAMF on the line with you, please feel free to give us a call or reach out to your Technical Account Manager by sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com or using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Edit: I went ahead and created a defect for this. D-007183 is the # for reference.

spalmer
Contributor III

@amanda.wulff the mysql truncate command did the trick. Thanks!