Can't expand contents downloaded from Jamf

Fox
New Contributor III

Good morning!

I am trying to open up to view the contents (not install) of a pkg that is a part of the DEP process at my school. I downloaded the pkg (and cached it) from Jamf and I tried to Convert to Source using Composer but it fails. I have also tried using terminal using the 'pkgutil --expand' command and that fails as well. I also tried SuspiciousPackage app and that failed as well (The document “depnotify-with-installers.pkg” could not be opened. The item “depnotify-with-installers.pkg” is not a macOS Installer package, or has been corrupted or modified.).

Any advice on how to view the contents would be great. I'm a semi-new Jamf Admin (6 months in this role) and I want to figure out what is being installed (this way I can edit it if need be).

*I will add that I normally find cached pkgs in the Waiting Room folder and this time around I found it in Receipts (not sure if that matters).

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Does the package successfully install during enrollment? Are you sure the pkg is actually installing when it should?

I woudl receommend using BIG-RAT/jamfcpr: Replicate packages between Jamf Pro Servers (github.com) . Use the option to "Save Only" to download files from the Jamf distribution point. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Does the package successfully install during enrollment? Are you sure the pkg is actually installing when it should?

I woudl receommend using BIG-RAT/jamfcpr: Replicate packages between Jamf Pro Servers (github.com) . Use the option to "Save Only" to download files from the Jamf distribution point. 

Fox
New Contributor III

That was it! I originally set it as install and then changed it to Cache and I was  apparently too impatient before I ran it!

-It cached no problem this time! 

Thanks so much!

Fox
New Contributor III

Also huge thanks for telling me about Big-Rat. I will look into this asap!

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

What @Tribruin said. The .pkg file you found in Receipts is the "breadcrumb" for the package you installed. That the file was found in Receipts, and not in the Waiting Room, also implies you didn't set the policy to cache the package and it was installed instead.