Can we take Adobe Flash out back and bury it already?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Really? Do we need to put another bullet into you, Adobe Flash Player?

f8c84eed84a747af8cfbf17db79f9ccb

bb33cd4b7d4e4c79b1810c790377a413

--
https://donmontalvo.com
6 REPLIES 6

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Another entry in the "Flash, the gift that keeps on giving" category: it appears that Adobe did something to break the AutoPkg recipes for downloading the @#$%^ installer.

pruokis
New Contributor III

Looks like Adobe will make it easy, according to their published EOL Doc - "Since Adobe will no longer be supporting Flash Player after December 31, 2020 and Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021, Adobe strongly recommends all users immediately uninstall Flash Player to help protect their systems. "

Just over a month out until Adobe closes the door for good, it would seem.

...and there was MUCH rejoicing...

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Haha, yeah, I thought I was seeing things when I saw the notice in my inbox about a new FlashPlayer. I thought it was long dead by now.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I just did the Happy Dance™. I've seen notices about this almost forever, and yet it just kept going like a little mutant Energizer Bunny. I am creating global uninstall policies now!

mking529
Contributor

I went ahead and yanked this out of our fleet since most browsers have canned it anyway. Have only had to reload it back into one computer because one of our older HVAC web interfaces uses Flash. No one else has noticed any difference. Pretty crazy considering how flash was everywhere once upon a time!

CSCC-JS
Contributor II

The work around, in case you absolutely need to, is to use Firefox ESR. You also have to enable enterprise mode explicitly add stuff allow list in the config file.