Cannot Enroll AppleTV

mhayden
New Contributor III

I'm trying to enroll 20 AppleTVs via Configurator. I've called Apple support 3 times on the issue, each time the phone call lasts over an hour and I have to end the call to do other things. Still no resolution. Here's the scenario:

When you plug the AppleTV into Configurator, it pops up a setup assistant. You select Enroll > Casper MDM from the first screen, then it will prompt you for the device name and other profiles you want to install. Then you click Next again and it will wipe the AppleTV, install the latest software and reboot your ATV. As it's walking through the final configurations after reboot, it gets to the step "Updating device properties." It sits there for about 30 seconds and then errors out. The error is:
Unable to update device properties
Error details: The operation timed out. Code: -402653172 Domain: com.apple.mdk.amderror

If I skip Enroll (and therefore cannot set a name nor a WiFi profile, thus removing 90% of the reasons to put an AppleTV in configurator in the first place), then it rolls through 'Update device properties' just fine without any hiccups.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mhayden
New Contributor III

Problem solved! There is a device reboot in the middle of the Configurator setup assistant .. it says to unplug power and usb, plug in power, wait for it to stop blinking, repeat steps 2-4 (a second reboot), and then plug in the usb. I was glossing over the "repeat steps 2-4" step and only rebooting once. It pays to RTFM.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

anything in system.log on the configurator workstation that might be helpful?

mhayden
New Contributor III

Console messages:
ManagedClient: FAILURE: Job com.apple.ManagedClient.enrollagent is not loaded in launchd.

Apple Configurator: AMDeviceStopSession (thread 0x104bc5000): Could not stop session with device 3: kAMDTimeOutError

WARN - 474198ms Could not stop a session with device:(64d2dab78c6a9dc4b756559589f50de962439f57) Error Domain=com.apple.mdk.amderror Code=-402653172 "The operation timed out." (/SourceCache/appleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-370/Categories/MDKMobileDevice+Configurator.m:132)

ERROR - 474282ms <ACUConformDevicePropertiesOperation: 0x600000394d20 { ECID = 3059410447628 }> finished in 40.11 ith an error: Error Domain=com.apple.configurator.operation.error Code=26 "Unable to update device properties" UserInfo=0x608000e6d2c0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to update device properties, NSUnderlyingError=0x608000c4abf0 "The operation timed out."} (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-370/Engine/Operations/ACUOperation.m:152)

ERROR - 474285ms <ACUPrepareAppleTVOperation: 0x600000394ab0> finished in 325.89 seconds with an error: Error Domain=com.apple.configurator.operation.error Code=26 "Unable to update device properties" UserInfo=0x608000e6d2c0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to update device properties, NSUnderlyingError=0x608000c4abf0 "The operation timed out."} (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-370/Engine/Operations/ACUOperation.m:152)

ERROR - 1541169ms Presenting Error: Error Domain=com.apple.configurator.operation.error Code=26 "Unable to update device properties" UserInfo=0x608000e6d2c0 {NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to update device properties, NSUnderlyingError=0x608000c4abf0 "The operation timed out."} (/SourceCache/AppleConfigurationUtility/AppleConfigurationUtility-370/Application/Controller/ACUApplicationDelegate.m:246)

mhayden
New Contributor III

I've verified that the workstation can contact iTunes, and I have even taken the Macbook and AppleTV back to my house to ensure that there were no network issues. I've tried 3 different AppleTVs, every combination of settings on the Setup Assistant, and I've upgraded the workstation to Mavericks.

mhayden
New Contributor III

This is version 1.4.2 (370). I updated to Mavericks this morning so that I can install the 1.4.3 update. I will post with results.

And... no dice. Same results. Rebooted several times after installing the update but no luck.

mhayden
New Contributor III

Got off another support call with Apple and tried more combinations of options to no avail. Tech said that the logs were showing that the AppleTV isn't able to connect to the server, that there is no server address in the profile. Which doesn't make sense since we use this same profile successfully with iPads. I regenerated the Configuration profile and it still did not work. Making a Jamf support case.

mhayden
New Contributor III

Problem solved! There is a device reboot in the middle of the Configurator setup assistant .. it says to unplug power and usb, plug in power, wait for it to stop blinking, repeat steps 2-4 (a second reboot), and then plug in the usb. I was glossing over the "repeat steps 2-4" step and only rebooting once. It pays to RTFM.