Who imaged a Mac? Email when finished?

jescala
Contributor II

Does anyone know of a way to send an email to the person who started the imaging process when it is finished? I could easily come up with a script that sends an email and include it in the configuration to run at reboot. But I just have no idea how to identify who initiated the image so I can send the email to that user. I saw this "under review" feature request that send an email notification:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=200

But I think that just having a JSS inventory database record with the user ID of the person who started the image and a way to retrieve that value from the command line would be more useful.

5 REPLIES 5

jeremy_spolande
New Contributor

The email part is easy really, We have a group based on certain naming and apps being installed that defines machines as finished or "casper built" and get email notifications on group change when macs are aded to this list.

Who imaged the machine should really appear in the casper imaging logs as you need to authenticate to run casper imaging. Maybe should be a seperate request.

jescala
Contributor II

Yeah, I tried looking through the imaging log but I did not see this information anywhere in there. But even if it was, I don't know of a way to retrieve that log and parse out the user ID so that the script knows who to email. I created the following feature request to add this database record. Please vote it up if you think this would be useful:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1803

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

This is actually one reason we can't use built in Casper binds for AD, we need an audit trail of who joins systems to the domain. We use an internal Cocoa app to do the AD bind and a couple other things, and it logs the name of the person who does the bind (basically, the person who imaged it). I also use this to capture the exact image date, which is useful for applying policies to new system only.

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

This would be outside JAMF's imaging solution, but DeployStudio can handle this. If you set up DeployStudio to email logs, it will send the designated email address an email after every DS workflow's completion. The email will have an attached log that includes information like which account logged into DeployStudio, which imaging workflow was run and the MAC address and serial number of the Mac being imaged.

I'm using DeployStudio in my own shop and this function has been very handy. In my case, my DeployStudio server is bound to AD, so our team is using their individual AD accounts to log into DeployStudio.

jescala
Contributor II

@alexjdale][/url][/url][/url: It is not an audit requirement for us (yet?) but it is highly desirable. We log the image date and time to an extension attribute with a script that runs at reboot. However by the time the system reboots, the user that started Casper Imaging is gone and there is no way to record it.

@rtrouton][/url][/url][/url: Our JSS also uses AD authentication so emailing the user that started the image would be trivial if we only knew who that was. IMO, this really should be something that the JSS logs to a DB record. It could be an required audit record for many institutions and it will likely become one for us. But required or not, it is a really useful piece of information to have!