Cannot use Self Service on first login (Yosemite/JSS 9.63)

Aaron
Contributor II

Hello all,

I've got an issue in Yosemite where if a new user (mobile user, bound to AD) logs into a Mac for the first time and opens Self Service, they can't run any of the policies. When they click one, the progress bar comes up for a second, but then just stops. It doesn't start off with "Gathering information" like it usually should. No errors, nothing in the system logs, nothing in the JSS logs.

If they reboot, or simply logout/login, Self Service works properly.

It's nothing critical, but it's a very clumsy workflow for new users, as they have to log in, log out, log in, in order to continue setup.

Macs are fully up to date, but I am using JSS 9.63.

Any clues?

4 REPLIES 4

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

So if policies are showing up in self service it sounds like the scoping part is working. I've had lots of instances where it fails at that part.

If the user is running the policies and they are failing I would also check the /var/log/jamf.log on the client.

It does sound like a bug though that would be raising with JAMF support.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@Aaron Do you have any login policies setup?

We saw this when we used login policies and a new Mac was getting packages while trying to use Self Service.
When you're in Self Service at the first login, can you look at /Volumes to see if there's more than one .../CasperShare there when this happens?

If you were on 9.65 I'd also ask about your server share setups, but we did not see any issues with those prior to 9.65.

Aaron
Contributor II

I do have login policies, but nothing involving packages, just scripts. This has given me something to look at though, so I'll have a look at that next time I get the chance.

It's not that it's failing, it just does nothing - it's neither a success or a fail (well I guess technically it's a fail because it's not working as intended...). Nothing special is mentioned in ~/Library/Logs/JAMF logs, but I'll also check the /var/log/jamf.log

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Aaron That's odd. We're on 9.63 & don't see the issue.

How are your self service policies scoped? To the users? Are you running recon @ login to submit user information?