Casper 9.4 Search Computers bug

endor-moon
Contributor II

I recently upgraded to 9.4. One of the more annoying problems is when you search computers and put in a partial name. For example, "A103" to show a list of computers that have "A103" in the name, like A103A1, and so on. Casper reports 'No results found'. I have to clear the search field and click Search which gives me all computers in the JSS, then sort them and scroll and scroll until I find the one I want. This is using the web interface to the JSS, under the Search inventory > section.

Presumably this is an easily fixed bug. Just add % signs around the search term and use LIKE. ;)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

You can change the search behavior so that you must use wildcards for partial computer names or can use partial names to get results.

In the upper right, choose Preferences from under your login name.
Select the Search Preferences tab.
Under Computers, change from Exact (which is the default) to Contains
Click Save

The ability to chose between the options for search was implemented in 9.31

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

millersc
Valued Contributor

Have you tried the Filter, after doing a blank search? I find that more reliable currently. A nice feature of the main search is the wild card search. Try searching for A103*

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

You can change the search behavior so that you must use wildcards for partial computer names or can use partial names to get results.

In the upper right, choose Preferences from under your login name.
Select the Search Preferences tab.
Under Computers, change from Exact (which is the default) to Contains
Click Save

The ability to chose between the options for search was implemented in 9.31

endor-moon
Contributor II

Thanks halvorson, I have changed my preference to allow for a partial match, which is what I think the default behaviour should be.