Casper Admin "An exception of class UnsupportedFormatException was not handled. The application must shut down

mrayfield
New Contributor II

I receive this message when attempting to open Casper Admin. Does anyone know what might be the cause of this? 7ee1803237254cb6a40f444dcecc4714

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mrayfield
New Contributor II

@amanda.wulff I tried this and it worked out for me strangely.

1. Mounted the drive manually using "afp"
  2. Opened Casper Admin. I was prompted to work without the share. I accepted
  3. Ejected the drive mount and closed Casper Admin
  4. Open Casper Admin and it worked properly after.

Strange. Not sure what the issue is. Seems like a flaw of some sort on my server since I was able to recreate the issue on multiple laptops, and solve using the same method.

I should probably send this over to my Technical Account Manager. Thoughts on why this might happen before I send over?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

It's happened to me a few times, although normally when uploading packages to it. Sometimes with permissions it doesn't like.

Normally a reboot of the Mac gets it running again. Failing that, a new user account on the Mac.

mrayfield
New Contributor II

Sadly @davidacland a reboot didn't work. The permissions are ok. I can mount the drive and I'm in full control of the JSS. Any other troubleshooting steps you may know of?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Silly question, but have you tried deleting Casper Admin.app and re-installing it from the DMG? Its possible its just damaged and no amount of reboots or troubleshooting will help get that copy working again.
Also, be sure to delete the preference file that it uses as another troubleshooting step. It would be ~/Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.admin.plist

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@mrayfield

Bit of a long shot, but do you happen to have any printers with a colon in the CUPS Name?

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

mrayfield
New Contributor II

@mm2270 I did everything you said and still the same result. Anything server side that may prevent it?

@amanda.wulff My CUPS names don't have any ; in the name.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@mrayfield

Shoot, well, that rules out an easy fix! There is a strange issue that can cause this to occur with Admin when a printer with a : in the CUPS name is added via the webapp, then we try to open Admin, but if there aren't any colons in your CUPS names that's not likely the cause.

It may be worth it to get in touch with your Technical Account Manager if you haven't already done so, so they can take a look at some log files (most likely the system.log, jamfsoftwareserver.log, and a CasperAdmin debug log) and go through putting Casper Admin into debug mode to see if anything helpful shows up there.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

mrayfield
New Contributor II

@amanda.wulff I tried this and it worked out for me strangely.

1. Mounted the drive manually using "afp"
  2. Opened Casper Admin. I was prompted to work without the share. I accepted
  3. Ejected the drive mount and closed Casper Admin
  4. Open Casper Admin and it worked properly after.

Strange. Not sure what the issue is. Seems like a flaw of some sort on my server since I was able to recreate the issue on multiple laptops, and solve using the same method.

I should probably send this over to my Technical Account Manager. Thoughts on why this might happen before I send over?

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@mrayfield

I'd agree that that's pretty strange; I've seen having to do something similar if a mount appears to be 'stuck' as mounted, but it normally didn't cause the crash with the message you were seeing, and it was more common on SMB shares.
In those cases, however, just rebooting the machine would also work as that would release whatever the OS thought was stuck mounted.

It's probably not a bad idea to open up a case with your Technical Account Manager just to see if the log files available will give any indication as to what might have happened.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support