Casper Imaging 8.6 Bug?

yacavone
New Contributor

Upgraded to 8.6 today and have noticed that when I image a system on the root level ".metadata_never_index" is being created. This of course prevents Spotlight from working.

Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks,

Alan--

19 REPLIES 19

jrtilson
New Contributor

I found this as well, I thought I was going crazy! Any help?

bill_bartig
New Contributor II

Thank you guys for bringing this to our attention! We are seeing the same results with Casper Imaging 8.6 internally.

As part of making some improvements to Target Mode Imaging, we discovered that disabling Spotlight indexing and FSEvents logging was necessary to ensure a successful image. Unfortunately, a flaw in that logic resulted in the files being created outside of Target Mode Imaging workflows as well, but they are only properly cleaned up when doing Target Mode Imaging.

Until a fixed version is released, a workaround is to include a script to perform the following commands after imaging:

rm /.metadata_never_index
rm /.fseventsd/no_log

Sorry for the trouble, everyone. We are updating our tests to make sure this doesn't come up again.

LVISDJShip
New Contributor

Thank you for the work around, but as I'm new to Mac could I get a quick How To on making that script or is that all in Casper and I just copy paste those two lines?

Thanks a bunch

~ james

powellbc
Contributor II

What is the ETA on the fix for this (I assume 8.6.1)?

thomasC
Contributor

Ditto what is ETA for bug fixes. Using 8.5.2 Casper Imaging to get 10.7.4 configs out. Works with 8.6 JSS. At least I haven't seen any issues.

In addition to killing Spotlight. 8.6 Casper Imaging is wiping Computer Name with 10.8.

Is there a "known issues" thread other than sifting through discussions or finding out the hard way?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@thomasC This would be most welcome...a "sticky" perhaps? :D

Is there a "known issues" thread other than sifting through discussions or finding out the hard way?
--
https://donmontalvo.com

thomasC
Contributor

In testing I haven't found an issue imaging with the following.
-----
JSS 8.6 NBI 10.8 Casper Imaging.app 8.5.2 OS 10.8 in configuration
-----
Spotlight - works Computer Name - as entered during imaging.
LocalHostName - is set to ComputerName as expected
HostName - not set
Note: system was not in JSS prior to imaging
-----
Need to talk to JAMF and see if this has been tested and could be a work around.

Anyone else try this?

rtregaskis
New Contributor

I would like an update on the 8.6 imaging tool issues highlighted in this thread. In the meantime I will attempt the suggestion of using imaging 8.5.2 together with our JSS 8.6 and NBI 10.8 later today assuming that's workable.

Since Apple informed us we are not legally entitled to downgrade new hardware being shipped with 10.8 we are now having to reimage our current estate to match new hardware arriving shortly to provide continuity in our workspaces.

We are now considering having to rework our previous Deploystudio environment for the start of term only a few weeks away. This is another piece of work updating DS version, base image and nbi we were expecting to avoid having recently moved to a Casper environment.

Furthermore as a newcomer to Casper the introduction of an known issue thread would be extremely helpful to get up to speed and indeed keep upto date!

tomt
Valued Contributor

Had my first user with this issue just now. I deleted the /.metadata_never_index file and he can now search in the Finder with no problems. So far he cannot search in Outlook (which uses the Spotlight engine).

Has anyone else seen this?

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

This might be an outlook issue, we just saw that today and it is a 8.52 and X.7, were the Spotlight worked fine. Don't have a fix yet

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've seen this on images created with 10.6 + Office 2011 outside of the Casper Suite.

I had to rebuild the computers spotlight database & then it worked.

vk1068
New Contributor

DITTO James
Thank you for the work around, but as I'm new to Mac could I get a quick How To on making that script or is that all in Casper and I just copy paste those two lines?

Could someone post up the instructions for the newies. thanks.

daguy666
New Contributor II

Is there an actual fix from JAMF coming out any time soon? Or are we going to have to continue patching after we roll out images?

kyle_bareis
New Contributor III

Hey All,

The issue with Casper Imaging not removing those files was fixed in version 8.61. If you are still having issues with Spotlight, we would love to hear from you and help you out to update Casper Imaging on your NetBoot or take a look what is going on. You can find your Account Manager's info under the My Assets (https://my.jamfsoftware.com/myAccountTeam.html) area here on JAMF Nation!

Thanks,
Kyle

syunetsy
New Contributor

Hey Kyle.bareis

I'm running JSS v8.62 and I'm still having this spotlight issue with my OSX 10.8.2 image. I currently have a script to remove the .metadata_never_index but I'd rather have the OS package working right then have to run a post install script to remove that file. Any ideas why this is occurring even though this was patched in 8.61?

Thanks,
-Steve

syunetsy
New Contributor

Hey guys, my issues have been resolved. I previously upgraded v8.62 but didn't upgrade casper imaging v8.6 so that was the cause of my issues. We're all good, thanks all.

-Steve

acdesigntech
Contributor II

We've been noticing this on several recently upgraded Macs. Upgraded from 10.6 to 10.8 via the following process:
1. Automated script via policy sets the netboot server and reboots
2. computer boots to an automated netinstall that upgrades it to 10.8.0 and installs a launchDaemon to run on startup
3. Launch daemon runs a jamf removeFramework, installs a quick add package, then triggers a policy to update drivers, run SUS, apply profiles, etc

Note that most of these upgraded Macs were originally imaged with CI 8.1, not 8.6x. Additionally, it seems to only happen on the upgraded laptops, not iMacs. Not sure what that's all about - maybe the firmware in use on that model type (we also had a major problem getting them to NBAS - had to clear FW before we could set the boot drive, only on the 2010+ models)?. We did replace Office 04/08 with '11 in Fall of last year though. The issue is definitely related to outlook and office reminders. Possibly other stuff too, but that's what the majority of calls come in about.

We're using thin imaging for all new deployments and reimages now though. We haven't noticed the problem on ANY computers that have been freshly imaged in this manner.

gokoudes
New Contributor III

FWIW, we're still seeing this bug when imaging using 9.7, installing Yosemite.

Detroit_helpdes
New Contributor

Just stumbled across this problem today. Looks like I will not be using target imaging anymore. Can confirm this is still an issue for us on 9.81