Casper Imaging could not find the target disk: Untitled

Snickasaurus
Contributor

The disk is actually named Macintosh HD and has been formatted twice. Also checked it for errors and nothing was found to be wrong with the drive itself. I'm using an external firewire drive (also tried USB) that has a 10.8.2 install on it with all Casper tools in a folder. This is how we image machines and I've never had this issue in the past. The machine is a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. I've imaged 50 or so machines of this same age and model without error. Has anyone seen this before? The searches I've come up with all talk of netboot and/or other unrelated terms.

Boot Drive = 10.8.2
Casper Tools = 8.2
MacBook Pro = Mid 2010
External Drives = USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 and Firewire

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Did you check autorun details. I've only seen something similar when I've imaged and forgot to update the autorun Target Drive info to the new HD name
hth

LS

View solution in original post

esl_raul
New Contributor

I've already had this error before and it was because of the autorun configuration. I suggest you the same as LSinNY, even if you never use the autorun feature.

If this is not your case, maybe you can open Disk Utility and check if the hard drive is formatted correctly (Macintosh HD). Sometimes, if you tried to install it before and it didn't finished it successfully, the hard disk won't be mounted nor the partition won't be correctly created. If this is your case, you can format your Macintosh HD partition and reopen Casper Imaging again.

I hope this can help you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Did you check autorun details. I've only seen something similar when I've imaged and forgot to update the autorun Target Drive info to the new HD name
hth

LS

Snickasaurus
Contributor

We don't use the autorun feature but thanks for the reply LSinNY

esl_raul
New Contributor

I've already had this error before and it was because of the autorun configuration. I suggest you the same as LSinNY, even if you never use the autorun feature.

If this is not your case, maybe you can open Disk Utility and check if the hard drive is formatted correctly (Macintosh HD). Sometimes, if you tried to install it before and it didn't finished it successfully, the hard disk won't be mounted nor the partition won't be correctly created. If this is your case, you can format your Macintosh HD partition and reopen Casper Imaging again.

I hope this can help you.

vadanx
Contributor

I've had the very same issue as you.

I don't use the feature either, find the Mac in your JSS Inventory, go to Autorun link on the right-hand side and delete the settings.

wdpickle
Contributor

We have also seen the issue, with a brand new macbook pro. We formated the drive and it showed good, it would image but failed to boot. We took to it some other folks and they tested it in the machine and it showed good. The only time it failed any test, was when it was plugged in as external USB. It failed 5/6 times plugged in externally. Apple replaced the drive for us.

Snickasaurus
Contributor

Thanks LSinNY and esl.raul that actually worked. Perhaps the people before me set that up because I've never used the Autorun feather before. Really appreciate the help!! Happy holidays to all.