Casper Imaging - default "admin" account access issue

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

So we have JSS at 8.43 and we're using Casper Imaging to image Late 2011 Macs that require Lion. Our image has a default admin account that we log into after the Mac has been imaged. For some reason the account lacks full rights to its own directory, since we can't save stuff to the Desktop, and also because opening System Profiler results in a few bounces than an ungraceful exit (of System Profiler).

Is anyone noticing that "baked in" admin account on your Lion image has permissions/access issues to its own directory?

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
4 REPLIES 4

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Interesting...when I log in to a domain account, I'm prompted if I want to create a local home directory. AD binding is set to not ask. :)

Wierd stuff imaging Lion, iange is at 10.7.3...even with 8.43

I tried unbinding/purging/rebooting/rebinding but got the same result.

Don

external image link

--
https://donmontalvo.com

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

Same as Don here... (binding with a policy through SelfService with Casper "Directory Binding" that has been working perfectly with 10.6.x so far)
Cheers
Carlo

bajones
Contributor II

I have experienced both the admin permissions issue as well as some AD binding issues.

I resolved the permissions issue by imaging a computer with the affected 10.7.3 image and then rebooting to the recovery partition. In the terminal in the recovery partition I used the resetpassword command to fix the ACLs of the admin home folder on the freshly imaged drive. I then recaptured the fixed 10.7.3 image. Deploying this new image seems to have correct permissions for the admin user.

Regarding the AD binding issues, mine is a little different. I want it to create mobile homes without asking, but all accounts remain as network users and it never asks me what I want to do.

vadanx
Contributor

Old post, but would like to contribute.

I thought I was going mad when I noticed the permissions issue, I manage the Dock and Desktop for the admin account and none of these were set when logging in, the wallpaper was default, the Dock was default (not even my set empty Dock from user Templates) and the account had no permission to launch apps or even access its own home directory.

JSS 8.43 & Lion 10.7.4

I plan to update JSS soon...