Casper Imaging defaults to Master Distribution Point

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We have several Distribution Points. For some reason Casper Imaging is defaulting to the Master Distribution Point. In other words the Use Distribution Point popup menu shows the Master even though the Mac is on the same subnet as a different Distribution Point.

I seem to remember Casper Imaging being intelligent enough to auto select the closest Distribution Point?

We are still on Casper Suite 8.43 (let's not go there)...I checked JSS settings and I don't see an option to "Always point Casper Imaging to the wrong Distribution Point".

[color=blue]<tongue-in-cheek>[/color]

Is there a setting I'm missing? Do I need to feed Casper Imaing a café latté for it to wake up?

TIA

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yeah, Casper doesn't know automatically which DP you want a client to use, you have to configure Network Segments for your IP ranges and configure a default DP for clients in those ranges.

It can be a lot of work (we had to enter a couple hundred segments for 30ish DPs), but it's the best way to handle it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Did this just start happening after an upgrade, I'm still 8.52.

If not, do you have default dist points set up under settings, network segments, or are these machines that have been imaged before - if so they pick up dist point from auto run data I think.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I thought the distribution point was chosen as per network segments.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yeah, Casper doesn't know automatically which DP you want a client to use, you have to configure Network Segments for your IP ranges and configure a default DP for clients in those ranges.

It can be a lot of work (we had to enter a couple hundred segments for 30ish DPs), but it's the best way to handle it.