Casper Imaging isn't block copying our RESTORE image at imaging time

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We use our Restore image to create portable Casper drives. In the past Casper Imaging would do a block copy of the Restore DMG onto the target drive. Today I'm using 8.62 and for some reason the Restore DMG is getting mounted and file copy is happening.

Not sure what's up. I tried to "Scan Image For Restore" the Restore DMG just in case, and it completes fine, uploaded the newly scanned DMG to JSS...but still I get file copy.

Is anyone else seeing this?

TIA
Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
6 REPLIES 6

bajones
Contributor II

I had this happen to me the other day. I just forgot to check the "Erase Target Drive" box.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

i had it happen and the permissions on the compiled image were set to 600 instead of 644 had to get on the server and fix the permissions.

Matt
Valued Contributor

OT, kinda: I've noticed that permissions are getting funky a lot more on my CasperShare.

Torin
New Contributor

I have this same problem, I ran permissions on the server and I still have this issue.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@bajones Thanks, I tested to be sure, got same result...I really wish we could get the option to force that checkbox on (grey it out). :)

@nessts and @Torin Interesting, I noticed that the Distribution shares were inconsistent and that contents were as well.

@Matt Not OT at all. :) Some of the /Shared Items/CasperShare/Packages/ folders are set to casperadmin:admin and some are set to casperadmin:staff. Shouldn't matter since the permissions should be 644 recursively. Would be nice to have a KB detailing what the exact permissions should be so we can enforce...

Also when I sifted through the Packages folder I noticed some packages showed 755 and some showed 644, but that shouldn't matter either.

I'm curious, is there a white paper on what exactly Casper Admin does when you hit the Replicate button? It would be nice to know, since there seems to be some discrepancies.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Good find. Im always having to repair permissions all the time and its getting a ball ache!

@Don I'm with you time for a KB on it