Casper Imaging NetBoot OS X Lion - Disable iCloud?

Not applicable

Hi all,

I'm getting stumped on how to figure this out. I have a OS X Lion net boot image that I created using the Automator action found in the Resource Kit. It works perfectly well. Only problem is I keep getting the blasted scrolling welcome screen, followed by the iCloud setup preference pane. I've copied the com.apple.SetupAssistant.plist file into the root user's Preferences folder, and it still shows up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
--
Terry Sheltra
Macintosh Support Technician

University of Virginia, School of Architecture
w: 434.982.3047 e: terrys at virginia.edu
--
?????????

9 REPLIES 9

Not applicable

you have to copy the plist to the user template so that all new users that login get that file as part of their home
On Oct 25, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Ness, Todd wrote:
--
Todd Ness
Technology Consultant/Non-Windows Services
Americas Regional Delivery Engineering
HP Enterprise Services

I've got that. I have the plist (and .lockfile) both in the

/System/Library/User Template/Non_localized/Library/Preferences

as well as

/private/var/root/Library/Preferences

and it seems to make no difference.

Yes, this is preferred but with a Netboot it's going to have differing MAC addresses making it difficult to manage with Casper-based MCX. Perhaps a "local" MCX would do for your Netboot image.

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

How does one make a "local" MCX policy?

Thanks all!

nessts
Valued Contributor II

you have to copy the plist to the user template so that all new users that login get that file as part of their home
--
Todd Ness
Technology Consultant/Non-Windows Services
Americas Regional Delivery Engineering
HP Enterprise Services

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

or manage it with mcx, which would avoid having to copy pref files around…

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Yes, this is preferred but with a Netboot it's going to have differing MAC addresses making it difficult to manage with Casper-based MCX. Perhaps a "local" MCX would do for your Netboot image.

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

ahh, yes. i was assuming this was for a deployed image, not the netboot set itself. you can probably dump the appropriate prefs in /Library/Preferences and test.

likewise, if the image logs in as root (assuming for casper imaging or something), you could probably inject the mcx in the raw user record on the netboot image.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Or just drop the pref in the user template…

If it's worth engineering, it's worth over engineering

:)
---
Jared F. Nichols
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street

robo
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

After struggling with this problem for the root user for some time (putting the plist into root's Library/Preferences did not help, and using a config profile worked for all users but root. Didn't try local MCX but suspected the same as with the config profile), I ended up simply compressing /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app into a zip file and deleting the original. I don't anticipate a need for Setup Assistant.app on the netboot image, and this definitely prevents the iCloud signup screen from appearing for all users, root included.

franton
Valued Contributor III

We have a policy that simply executes the following terminal command:

mv -f -v /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/SharedSupport/MiniLauncher /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/SharedSupport/MiniLauncher.backup

That kills the iCloud opening screen nicely.

rmanly
Contributor III

nvm...