Casper - Software Installation Fails

Snoop_Frog
New Contributor

I'm attempting to install Identity Finder 8.0 via Casper, but the software package is failing to install. The following is what I see in the logs for the policy:

Executing Policy Push Install Identity Finder 8.0...
Mounting casper.contoso.com to /Volumes/CasperShare...
Copying IDF8_0.pkg...
Installing IDF8_0.pkg...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/IDF8_0.pkg'.
Running Recon...
Retrieving inventory preferences from https://casper.contoso.com:8443/...
Locating package receipts...
Locating software updates...
Locating accounts...
Searching path: /Applications
Locating printers...

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

htse
Contributor III

Does the file exist on the distribution point of the expected file size?
Use Capser Admin to see if the package is indexed, and not red. Does the client actually pull down the file in /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

htse
Contributor III

Does the file exist on the distribution point of the expected file size?
Use Capser Admin to see if the package is indexed, and not red. Does the client actually pull down the file in /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

My guess would be a broken installer. I would try the process manually, mount the DP, copy the package, run it in the finder. Try the same with another package.

If the offending one fails but others are ok it's probably a broken package.

Also check replication between DPs as htse said (if you have multiple).

Snoop_Frog
New Contributor

htse,

I mistakenly placed the file on the incorrect logical drive on the server hosting the distribution point. I have corrected this and placed the file on the distribution point.

The package was not red, but it was not indexed, so I indexed it. Additionally, the Casper Admin application created a BOM for the package when I initially launched the application.

The file is not pulled down to the /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads folder (the error message below leads me to believe this may be the source of the issue). Do you think this may be a permissions issue?

davidacland,

There was an issue with software licensing present with the package, so I recreated the package with the correct license file built in, then manually installed the package with no issue.

We only have one distribution point.

The software deployment is still failing, and the following was recorded in the management console:

Executing Policy Push Install Identity Finder 8.0...
Mounting casper.contoso.com to /Volumes/CasperShare...
Copying IDF8_0.pkg...
Installing IDF8_0.pkg...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/IDF8_0.pkg'.
Running Recon...
Retrieving inventory preferences from https://casper.contoso.com:1443/...
Locating accounts...
Searching path: /Applications
Locating package receipts...
Locating software updates...
Locating printers...

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I would normally drag the pkg into Casper Admin to upload it. It sounds like you are dropping the pkg straight into the DP?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Of course it could be something completely different like the file name that it doesn't like!

Snoop_Frog
New Contributor

The error was caused by incorrect permissions on the package. Once I corrected the permissions issue, Casper then showed a different error message. Now, onto figuring out this one :)

dderusha
Contributor

I'm seeing this error trying to install Office patch 14.5.4. Its worked on many, and failed on many.....failed on my test workstation. rebooted, still get the same error

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Cannot install on volume / because it is disabled.
installer: A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.

dderusha
Contributor

same computer , this time I ran it at login and it worked fine....
strange

dderusha
Contributor

so I removed office, put version 14.4.9 back on and reset my policy....
now I'm getting this error which other failed macs received as well.

Copying Microsoft Office 2011 EN 14.5.4 Update 2015-2-9...
Installing Microsoft Office 2011 EN 14.5.4 Update 2015-2-9...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/Office 2011 14.5.4 Update.pkg'.

suggestions?

bsuggett
Contributor II

I know this is an old post...

Did anyone figure out what was the cause of this issue?

We're on JAMF Pro 10.12.0 and still seeing this issue crop up randomly... We could have 10 policies deploying packages that succeed then 10 that fail, the next machine might be completely different. If we flush those policies that fail. They succeed the next time around. Its not the same packages and occurs on packages big and small. We see it downloads, then verifies, then when attempting to install the below error is returned in the log and fails.

ERROR: The package INSERTPAKCAGENAMEORFILE does not exist in "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/". You may also want to check the permissions on the file server.

Watching the issue, we have noticed it preferences machines with HDD's whereas machines with SSD's don't have the issue. We're in debate if its a disk I/O on the machines.