Catalina - Cannot Update App (VPP)

mnickels
New Contributor III

With macOS Catalina, it looks like VPP deployed apps now show up in the App Store under the Updates tab.

When I try to update an app, I get an error message "Cannot Update App".

"App_Name cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID."

Obviously this is because it was deployed through VPP. I already have the app set to auto-update, but due to other issues (https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/31057/vpp-redownload-call-timed-out-mdmclienterror-72) that isn't working so great right now.

Is there anyway to allow end users to update VPP deployed apps on macOS?

19 REPLIES 19

jzarate
New Contributor II

I'm running into the same issue. Have you had any luck figuring this out, @mnickels ?

pbowden
Contributor III

@jzarate unfortunately you have to use a big hammer to let the user update MAS apps with their own AppleiD. For free apps, they can delete the app from /Applications then they will be able to ‘Get’ the app from the App Store client.

The VPP account is embedded in the receipt file under the _MASReceipt folder in the app bundle, which is how the App Store client won’t allow a non-VPP user to update it. Of course, you can delete the receipt file but the app will then become disassociated which means it is no longer under the purview of MAS. For Office apps, this is the way we convert MAS installs back to CDN and have them updated with MIcrosoft AutoUpdate.

mnickels
New Contributor III

Thanks guys,

I haven't had any luck. Holding out hope that someday Jamf will implement an "Update" button in the self service portal.

DCMNIT
New Contributor

We're also now struggling with this issue. We push VPP MS Office MAS apps from JAMF and have them set to check and install updates automatically. These updates no longer automatically install but appear in the App Store for the Catalina users and when they try to click update, they then get an error stating that the app cannot be updated as it was purchased with a different Apple ID.

Has anyone come across a good solution or workaround for this, other that the delete/reinstall app method?

pbowden
Contributor III

@username123 this Apple architectural issue continues to be a big problem. I no longer recommend using VPP to deploy Office for Mac apps. Please use the Microsoft CDN instead.

marksjp
New Contributor II

I just wanted to chime in to say that I'm experiencing this issue as well.

n_lecchi
New Contributor III

Same issue with Telephone 7.3 MB App
3cb53547bfd7469eb5fbc9333fd19ea5

daniel_ross
Contributor III

Anyone find a fix for this yet?

naya
New Contributor II

Same issue here

Mykolas
New Contributor II

Same issue here

Mykolas
New Contributor II

@pbowden Is there any user friendly procedure how to convert from MAS to CDN?

pbowden
Contributor III

@Mykolas yeah, I can think of an easy procedure that does this without the user being aware of any changes. Want it in a script or a pkg?

Mykolas
New Contributor II

@pbowden I think i figured out myself.

Something like this:
rm -r /Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/_MASReceipt

After that i can see that app is under MAU.

pbowden
Contributor III

@Mykolas yup, that would work.

danlaw777
Contributor III

pushing that script out resolves this issue?

pueo
Contributor II

I am having the same issue. My research suggests this issue has been around for a very long time.
I went a head a deleted the _MASReceipt file for each affected App. The updates then come through MS AutoUpdater.
When we do deployments or migrations I will script the removal of the _MASReceipt file. I have a question to Apple about this.
a.

dnorman
New Contributor III

I was going to write a script that removes the _MASReceipt for Microsoft apps but if anyone else has one already that would be awesome.

cgiebel33
New Contributor II

Does anyone know if this has been fixed? I have BIG SUR and am on Jamf Pro Version 10.28.0 and this is still an issue for me. Please help, I can't get any Mac OS apps to update!!!

jschank
Contributor

@cgiebel33 Use the rm command posted by @Mykolas and confirmed by @pbowden . I created a policy to remove the MASReceipt folder within Word and was able to confirm the folder was removed.

@pbowden How long does it take to have the app switch to MAU? I have opened MAU multiple times on the test device and Word is not an option for updates. I ran sudo jamf recon and my extension attribute switch from VPP to CDN.