Catalina Remote Enrollment - No network at welcome screen

debrat
New Contributor III

Hello. We are prepping MacBook Air Retinas with 10.15.3 Out of Box via remote enrollment and DEP Notify. We are seeing issues with acquiring a valid network on computers with a wired USB-c adapter. Wireless is not working consistently either. We have to go through the setup assistant manually and then manually kickoff enrollment to JAMF. If we erase and install using the startosinstall method, the 10.15.4 machine will run through the remote enrollment wired fine. Anyone else experiencing issues with a valid network connection prior to the remote enrollment screen?

6 REPLIES 6

smolyeet
New Contributor III

which brand adapters are you using? We use WiFi due to the inconsistencies we found with various adapters, despite WiFi also being inconsistent.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@debrat There is an open issue with Apple engineering regarding multiple organizations experiencing this problem with some machines. The specific issue is the Mac isn't able to connect to the Apple server that does the handoff to an org's MDM server. No ETA on a resolution has been provided, and the recommended "fix" is to erase the Mac and re-install macOS.

debrat
New Contributor III

@smolyeet we have the belkin USBC ones bought through Apple. Wifi doesn't appear to work consistently for us and it sometimes misses the remote enrollment or gets stuck on "Retrieving Activation Record".
Thank you very much for the info @sdagley! That is a bummer to hear. I did noticed that if I went through the failed enrollment and erased and reinstalled with 10.15.4, that it works more consistently. Extra step for 1000+ devices :(

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@debrat We haven't experienced it on all enrollment attempts, just some. I'd say around 10-15%. Unfortunately there's no clue as to what triggers it.

Strannik
New Contributor III

@debrat - We see this issue too. I think it's a bug in 10.15.3 as I have not seen this problem with 10.15.4. Using Belkin Ethernet adapters bought from Apple Store.

SteveC
New Contributor III

This should probably be merged with https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/33723/catalina-prestage-enrollment-retrieving-activation-record-hanging

It's the same issue. I'm using HP USB-C dongles, I don't see this on any other device than Macbook Air Retina's, but those are the only T2 devices I have currently. I'm still seeing the problem on 10.15.5.