Categorizing links in Self Service

brayg
New Contributor III

I'm working to make a set of web links available to users through the Self Service macOS app. The links must be categorized within Self Service and open in Chrome (not Self Service). Any suggestions are appreciated!

Here's what I've tried so far:

Option 1 - Bookmarks
Add link through Self Service > Bookmarks

Issue- Links cannot be categorized

Option 2 - Policy
Create Policy > assign category > fill out Self Service data (display name, button name, etc) > execute command:

open -a /Applications/Google Chrome.app https://example.com

Issue - Nearly perfect but takes 7-10 seconds for policy to execute after user clicks the link button in Self Service. Long-ish wait makes users assume the Self Service link isn't working and goes against overall "Self Service first" goal.

4 REPLIES 4

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@brayg As a Band-Aid for Option 1, could you prepend the category names as part of Bookmar's Display Name?

• Category A: Bookmark One
  • Category A: Bookmark Two
  • Category A: Bookmark Three

• Category B: Bookmark One

• Category B: Bookmark Two
  • Category B: Bookmark Three

brayg
New Contributor III

@dan-snelson Thanks for the tip. It may well be the only option for quick loading links currently. The main issue is that users won’t intuitively know to check the Bookmarks section of Self Service for links.

Having a category available under “Library” is my preferred option but the process execution is slow.

marklamont
Contributor III

You can rename the bookmarks category to make it more meaningful if that helps, however still doesn't drive people to it. However with a bit of user comms that can be overcome.

brayg
New Contributor III

If anyone else stumbles into this post while trying to find better ways to link users to URL's from Self Service, please upvote the feature request below or let us know your workaround:

Feature Request - Categorize Bookmarks