Changing Self Service App Icon

imZack
New Contributor II

Hey Team!
In the latest Jamf, opening Self Service changes its stock icon to whatever Branding graphic you define. What I'm looking to do is change the stock icon to match our branding image. I've done the following but currently stuck!

-Created an icns image of the branding image

-Command-I the Self Service.app and replace the Jamf image as well as replace the AppIcon.icns file in Show package contents>Contents>Resources

-Took the new Self Service.app, packaged it up, deployed it, and on end user's computer nothing changed. Show package contents shows the new icns file so it does go through but I feel like its a cache issue at this point?

-Clearing /Library/caches/icon caches didn't do the trick nor rebooting.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

This is a known issue with self service. If you change the permissions on self service using a policy, it should remedy itself:

chmod 775 /Applications/Self Service.app

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

amit_vasani
New Contributor II

@imZack Have you uploaded the .png to the Jamf Pro server? Settings > Computer Management > Self Service > Branding.e4b9942437b7494a83700a0e95140daf

scottb
Honored Contributor

Yeah, it sounds like you're trying to make it more difficult than needed.
Do as @avasani stated above.
When users download the QA package, it will install the Self Service app with the correct graphics.
Subsequent changes on the website will be reflected in Self Service automatically...
The old days where we needed the Goddess @Emily to show us how are now gone - RIP.

SweetJames
New Contributor II

Not to hijack this thread but I think OP may be trying to explain an issue we too are having where our icon branding only shows when the application is opened. Once it’s closed the dock icon reverts back to the stock Self Service icon until opened again it gets its custom branding back. Is this normal behavior?

amit_vasani
New Contributor II

@bergmire That is not normal behavior. I think I understand your problem. With Self Service either opened or closed the icon remains. I have posted screenshots of what I see. Can you do the same? 096c7ca8d0de4c6c93fefb2986eae964
07539b60ff5f4c199ab8b6d76be43a32
7b5344b9517c421a9bf28e1952bec350

imZack
New Contributor II

@bergmire Yes thank you! That is the issue we are having. Our branding shows up when the app is opened but reverts to stock when it is closed. For some reason as everything was brand new I had thought it was maybe normal behavior.

Re-enrolling machines doesn't seem to fix it either, very odd.

@avasani I/we cannot do that as you pictured.

Thanks!

~Zack

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

This is a known issue with self service. If you change the permissions on self service using a policy, it should remedy itself:

chmod 775 /Applications/Self Service.app

SweetJames
New Contributor II

@jmahlman this solution has solved the issue for now, thank you!

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

No problemo. Just mark it as the answer ;)

imZack
New Contributor II

@jmahlman You the man! Fixed it here too :)

scottb
Honored Contributor

Interesting. What version are you running? We're on 10.1.1 and don't see this issue?

SweetJames
New Contributor II

@scottb 10.0.0-t1508873342 so hopefully it's fixed in the latest version.

SweetJames
New Contributor II

Hmm...just updated to 10.13.3 and this issue seems to have returned. Sadly @jmahlman solution doesn't seem to correct it.

brad_dunn
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@jmahlman Also worked for me... Guess this means that I'll need to push the updated permissions to all clients?

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

@bergmire My guess is that jamf is (hopefully) going to fix this with 10.2 (I haven't started testing 10.2 yet)

aprild
New Contributor III

Just installed 10.2.1 and had the same issue. Permissions fix did not do the trick. I noticed that the owner and group of the Self Service.app on two different systems running 10.12 were assigned to different local admins (this is odd because only one of these admins should have enrolled the system). After setting the owner to root and the group to wheel with 755 permissions the problem seems to be corrected. My 10.13 test system works fine without the change.
edit: Changed owner and group back and the issue is still resolved. ???

SweetJames
New Contributor II

Can confirm the same behavior @aprild After getting a little time to further test this it seems proper ownership needs to be set on the Application. Permissions at least in my case did not change the icon behavior.

chown root:wheel /Applications/Self Service.app

did the trick.

edit: this only worked on our test machine, nothing in our production environment. I'm just going to wait for 10.2 and hope for a fix there at this point...

beatlemike
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We have this issue on several production machines since upgrading to 10.2.2. Seems when updating the Self Service the permissions went wonky. It does not affect newly added systems.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Posted today with 10.3.0:

[PI-004881] Fixed an issue that caused the Self Service Branding Icon to incorrectly revert to the default icon when the application was closed.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

We upgraded to 10.3 and Self Service stays branded in the Application folder but the Dock icon reverts back to the generic log when the app is closed. Anyone else seeing this?

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

Oddly enough, I only see what @emily sees after the first launch of the Application. After all subsequent launches it's fine.

danny_hanes
Contributor

Is this still an issue, or did they fix it with their 10.3.1 maintenance release?

scottb
Honored Contributor

I'm not seeing it on 10.3.1, but I didn't always see it.
One JSS has the fix in a policy, so that one is still working OK too.
I have heard of SS crashes in 10.3.1 but I have not seen those yet either.

danshaw
Contributor II

Just to chime in, we are on 10.7.1 and I'm still having the issue mentioned above. Changes when its open, but when its closed it shows the JAMF icon in the dock.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@danshaw - curious - I saw that on one Mac and it was seemingly due to the MDM Profile not being "Approved". At least once we had the client do it, that went away.
Otherwise, been pretty stable on 10.7.1/10.8.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Well, not totally shocked, but onboarding some UAT clients today resulted in the generic icon business.
10.8 and macOS 10.13.x.
Might have to re-enable that old policy again...