Checking for and updating Silverlight

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Recently I created a Smart group to check all machines for the version of Flash and install the latest version if not already installed based on a policy scoped to this Smart Group. I want to do the same for Silverlight and Java but I'm not sure what criteria to search on for when creating the Smart group. Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hkim
Contributor II

Easy way to get Silverlight version number is query /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion and it actually has another entry for just SilverLight version. Write your EA to query and report that back.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bentoms

Not sure if it still works, but I used to use the following as an EA to scope Silverlight versions: http://macmule.com/2011/03/07/ea-get-silverlight-version/

hkim
Contributor II

Easy way to get Silverlight version number is query /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion and it actually has another entry for just SilverLight version. Write your EA to query and report that back.

TomDay

OK so as I check this out further, enlighten a newb on "EA"? Extension Attribute?

bentoms

@tommyday yep!

TomDay

Thx very much, as I looked closer in policies I found that I can use search criteria based on plug-ins like I could with Software Title. How I missed that, I am unsure?! I'll chalk it up to jt lag from JNUC :-) Now on to java. Thx again.