Citrix Receiver Disable Update Check

el2493
Contributor III

I've noticed after installing Citrix Receiver the default setting is to have it automatically check for updates, and the popups to update are really persistent. I'm trying to build a script to change this setting, and I'm close but I'm running into some issues.

The script I have is:

#!/bin/sh

#kill Citrix Receiver if running
pkill Citrix Receiver

#get loggedinuser
loggedInUser="$(/bin/ls -la /dev/console | /usr/bin/cut -d " " -f 4)"

#make sure labuser logged in
if [[ $loggedInUser != "labuser" ]]
then
    echo "labuser not logged in, please re-run later"
    exit 1
else
    echo "labuser logged in"
fi

#confirm plist exists where this setting can be entered
if [ ! -f /Users/"$loggedInUser"/Library/Preferences/com.citrix.receiver.nomas.plist ]
then
  echo "Plist not found, Citrix not installed or in error."
  exit 1
else
  echo "Plist exists, continuing..."
fi

plistContents="$(defaults read com.citrix.receiver.nomas)"
autoUpdateSetting="$(defaults read com.citrix.receiver.nomas AutoUpdateState)"

if [[ "$plistContents" == *"AutoUpdateState"* ]] #autoupdatesetting exists
then
  if [[ $autoUpdateSetting != "Disabled" ]] #autoupdatesetting is not set to Disabled
  then
    defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas AutoUpdateState -string Disabled
    echo "${autoUpdateSetting} set"
  else
    echo "${autoUpdateSetting} already set"
  fi
else
  defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas AutoUpdateState -string Disabled
fi

exit 0

If I just run this script on a computer it works fine, but I'm running into issues doing it through JAMF. I'm able to get through the part where it confirms the PLIST exists, but then when it tries to define the plistContents variable it says "Domain com.citrix.receiver.nomas does not exist." Which is frustrating since I confirmed that it existed before running that command (and it definitely does exist).

I also tried specifying the full path of the PLIST (so defaults write /Users/"$loggedInUser"/Library/Preferences/com.citrix.receiver.nomas) for the "defaults read" and "defaults write" commands and it seemed to work, though when I run "defaults read com.citrix.receiver.nomas" in terminal (which used to come up with the contents of that file) it now just gives the "Domain com.citrix.receiver.nomas does not exist" error message. And when I open Citrix, it's still set to automatically check for updates.

Any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

el2493
Contributor III

I just noticed that if I try to open the PLIST through Finder (on a computer that I had JAMF push the policy/script to) it says I don't have permission to view the file. Though if I go to another computer (that didn't get the policy/script) it opens fine. Maybe I need to run the defaults commands as the user?

el2493
Contributor III

Yep, that seemed to be it. https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/18627/running-a-script-as-a-login-user helped out, the script I have (which seems to be working now) is:

#!/bin/bash -v

#kill Citrix Receiver if running
pkill Citrix Receiver

#get loggedinuser
loggedInUser="$(/bin/ls -la /dev/console | /usr/bin/cut -d " " -f 4)"

#make sure labuser logged in
if [[ $loggedInUser != "labuser" ]]
then
    echo "labuser not logged in, please re-run later"
    exit 1
else
    echo "labuser logged in"
fi

#confirm plist exists
if [ ! -f /Users/"$loggedInUser"/Library/Preferences/com.citrix.receiver.nomas.plist ]
then
  echo "Plist not found, Citrix not installed or in error."
  exit 1
else
  echo "Plist exists, continuing..."
fi

plistContents="$(defaults read /Users/"$loggedInUser"/Library/Preferences/com.citrix.receiver.nomas)"
autoUpdateSetting="$(defaults read /Users/"$loggedInUser"/Library/Preferences/com.citrix.receiver.nomas AutoUpdateState)"

if [[ "$plistContents" == *"AutoUpdateState"* ]] #autoupdatesetting exists
then
  if [[ $autoUpdateSetting != "Disabled" ]] #autoupdatesetting is not set to Disabled
  then
    su -l $loggedInUser -c "defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas AutoUpdateState -string Disabled"
    autoUpdateSetting="$(defaults read /Users/"$loggedInUser"/Library/Preferences/com.citrix.receiver.nomas AutoUpdateState)"
  else
    echo "${autoUpdateSetting} already set"
  fi
else
  su -l $loggedInUser -c "defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas AutoUpdateState -string Disabled"
fi

exit 0

Just_Jack
Contributor

We were able to push out the PLIST via Configuration Profiles.