Clever Web App for Mac

phil_kurbis
New Contributor II

Hello,

We're setting up our iMacs and want to deploy a Clever.com web app for Mac that we can set up a policy and deploy. I tried to create a Chrome extension app, make that into a pkg and deploy that, but the "app" is "dead" when deployed. What's the best way to create a web app for Mac and deploy?

3 REPLIES 3

Look
Valued Contributor III

It's been a long time since I have done this, but from memory if you control Chrome with a master preferences file there is actually an option to auto load chrome extensions by their ID number, it certainly used to work for the one we needed.
Part of the issue is I think they are generally user specific so you really need it to set itself up for each new user.

phil_kurbis
New Contributor II

Thanks, @Look. I am really interested to see if there is a way to make a Web App for Macs like what is done for iOS devices.

Look
Valued Contributor III

@phil.kurbis You mean the shortcut type function that then just opens in the a browser?
There are probably a few ways to go about this. Do you require a specific browser? If so you could have as script make the call to the browser with the URL, then there are a few apps out there that will wrap a script into a usable App.
If your just after effectively the equivalent of a Windows desktop shortcut, if you drag a URL from the address bar in macOS to the desktop it will create a webloc file of this, you can then change the icon and package it up in /Applications, double clicking it will just load the URL in the default browser.