ClientID Variables not setting on ad bind

jordanosi
New Contributor

Hey Everyone, I am trying to get Macbooks fresh off of a prestage enrollment rename to the serial number using $SERIALNUMBER in the clientid of the directory payload. It doesn't seem to be working. Do I have the variable wrong? Are there other parts of a configuration profile that could block the rename? Should I break out the AD Bind payload from other prestage config profile items? Any guidance or even places to look to troubleshoot would be appreciated. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jordanosi If you must bind to AD you probably do not want to do it as part of your PreStage. Unless your AD server is publicly accessible you'd be limiting enrollment to machines connected to your org's network. A better approach might be have a rename script run as part of your enrollment process (searching Jamf Nation will turn up multiple scripts to rename to a serial number) and then have a policy that runs at some point after your configuration process completes to do the bind if the Mac is connected to your org's network.

jordanosi
New Contributor

Thanks sdagley, I did start seperating the AD bind payload out of my config profiles and I did end up putting a renaming script that seems to have worked well for post enrollment.  Do you know if you rename the mac via this method if it will update the object name in AD?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

No, a Mac rename isn't going to update the AD object name unless you have some script running that's intended to keep them in sync. That's why my daily inventory policy also runs a script to enforce the computer name. We don't base any groups or policies off of the name, so it's not critical we check it more than once a day.