Collecting Warranty Status

Malcolm
Contributor II

This appears to been touched based on in the past, but appears to of died once catcher was put into place for check coverage.apple.com

however, I noticed in Monterey and possibly big sur, you can see applcare+ status, under >

Apple Logo > About my Mac > Support

And was wondering, if this can be added to an extension attribute, as like the ability to get the battery condition of a MacBook, and if so where on earth is the information stored.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

beegee
New Contributor II

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread. Thought it might be okay since this is a top search result!

I found a blog post on techitout.xyz and thought it would be useful for others trying to get the same info into an extension attribute.
https://techitout.xyz/2023/07/12/jamf-pro-get-mac-warranty-information/

This works when I use it in CodeRunner, but it doesn't seem to work for me as an EA in Jamf Pro. Maybe someone else can help shed some light on why.

View solution in original post

Appears to be working in my environment, 

what I did wrong at first is put it under description, instead of as a script in the extension attribute query

see how I have it setup in the images below within extension attribute (shame we can't do the same for iPad)

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 10.41.42 am.pngScreenshot 2023-08-31 at 10.43.26 am.png

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

Integrating with Apple GSX allows Jamf to pull in warranty data. Not sure if you have a GSX account, but might be something to look into:

https://docs.jamf.com/technical-articles/Integrating_with_Apples_Global_Service_Exchange_GSX.html

SeetendraPanda
New Contributor III

Check the application called MUT (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mut/id1133234759?mt=12)

This helps in getting the warranty information added to Jamf but it's not an automatic process that needs all the warranty details in a sheet to do a bulk upload.

Since we don't have a GSX connector access we use this with the procurement data and upload the warranty details in JAMF.

sfiguet
New Contributor III

Hello I have the same need.

Now apple display this information directly in macOS. The point will be to extract it in an attribute extension. But where is stoked this information on the mac ? :-)

beegee
New Contributor II

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread. Thought it might be okay since this is a top search result!

I found a blog post on techitout.xyz and thought it would be useful for others trying to get the same info into an extension attribute.
https://techitout.xyz/2023/07/12/jamf-pro-get-mac-warranty-information/

This works when I use it in CodeRunner, but it doesn't seem to work for me as an EA in Jamf Pro. Maybe someone else can help shed some light on why.

Nice find, I will have a play with the script also and see if I can come up with something

Appears to be working in my environment, 

what I did wrong at first is put it under description, instead of as a script in the extension attribute query

see how I have it setup in the images below within extension attribute (shame we can't do the same for iPad)

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 10.41.42 am.pngScreenshot 2023-08-31 at 10.43.26 am.png

@Malcolm upon deploy this EA in Jamf, i'm getting blank output. Is it working for anyone?

Looking closer at it, It seems the Warranty.plist path is not available pre macOS 13.

No actually this is not the reason, I suspect the link of weather the path exists might be due to the existance of an Apple ID.

that doesn't appear to be the reason either, but there does appear to be a reason for some devices not to have the folder and plist file

beegee
New Contributor II

I've been trying to figure it out as well. The article author says that he noticed it wasn't there for Intel devices. I have used this on two environments and have noticed the same thing. 

I'm inclined to say it's the first user account and not AD accounts, post a certain version release. on my machine it came down  25th July 2023, this might have actually been when I demobilised my account, back to a standard account, or post a software update. I have old Macbook 2019 Intels reporting in the information, and that specific one is likely using a non AD account and likely the first use user and due to the system level security not he user folders, this will present to be harder to obtain if a different user account is holding the data and not the account in use. Moving forward for our environment and current setup, for the majority I hope to see this become reliable, but an easier fix would be for apple to populated it into the library folder and not the users library. I will have a chat to our Apple Education Solutions Architect, to float the possibility to have them expand the plist file to an space on the MacBook, so that it cane be functional and allow for obtainable information that can be relied on.

edwin_henley
New Contributor

I believe the warranty.plist is created for any user who checks the warranty of the system from the system.  They would browse to the warranty lookup Apple Portal and provide the systems serial number https://checkcoverage.apple.com/ whatever user is logged in will then have the warranty.plist written in the context of their login